Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked at Autozone's and Pepboys..
Mercon V is not available in Gallon, and is only available in Quart's.

A quart of Mercon V is $ 3.99

And they told me that Mercon V is not a regular fluid, its always synthetic blend.

Dex / Merc is just $10 a gallon.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Mercon V is a synthetic blend, yes. It is more expensive. I think I paid about $4/quart the last time I bought it at Autozone...I have always used the Castrol Mercon V.

DO NOT THINK YOU CAN CHEAP OUT ON THIS AND BUY MERCON/DEXRON-III.

The older fluid will ruin your transmission.

JR

·
Registered
355 Posts
^^^what JR said^^^

To meet the Mercon V spec, the base fluid has to be at least semi-synthetic, so it will always cost more.

Although I won't be so dramatic and say that Dex/Merc will RUIN your transaxle, it definitely will NOT give proper service and will need changing much sooner, so the $6/gallon savings will NOT be a bargain.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
^^^what JR said^^^

To meet the Mercon V spec, the base fluid has to be at least semi-synthetic, so it will always cost more.

Although I won't be so dramatic and say that Dex/Merc will RUIN your transaxle, it definitely will NOT give proper service and will need changing much sooner, so the $6/gallon savings will NOT be a bargain.
[/b]
There have been many reports of people going to a shop to have their fluid changed, the shop filling it with Mercon/Dexron III, and a few days later, the transmission shits the bed. It may be related to the age or state of the transmission components, but I would never take the risk.

JR

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotemain'>
^^^what JR said^^^

[/b]
There have been many reports of people going to a shop to have their fluid changed, the shop filling it with Mercon/Dexron III, and a few days later, the transmission shits the bed. It may be related to the age or state of the transmission components, but I would never take the risk.

JR
[/b][/quote]

I went to pepboys for the flush, as I have Brownish Tranny Fluid. They told me that flush is not required, as the fluid is good. They said the Mercon V being synthetic, is little darker in color than the other fluids.

The cheapest Transmission flush is done by PepBoys, with Mercon V and purolator filter, and its $ 120:
1) Drop the pan change the filter
2) Flush the fluid using the machine.

I heard that the machine flush is not bad, as long as we dont go for the Cleaner chemical, which they add to the machine flush, and which loosens the sludge. And, we can always ask them to not go for the chemical cleaning.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
No, No, No.

Don't powerflush the transmission, regardless of what they say.

How many times do we have to tell you this?

Hell, give me the $120, and I'll flush it for you, the proper way. I'm just across the bridge from Philly.

JR

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I paid $7.50/quart for Mobil1 Synthetic ATF.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I paid $7.50/quart for Mobil1 Synthetic ATF.
[/b]
Interesting thread - I heard an employee of a chain parts place (shall remain nameless) trying to tell a customer not to buy Mercon V but to buy this multi-blend stuff that he said worked in *anything*

I would have fired the guy for that.

I'm very picky when it comes to using the right fluids. I've always used Mercon V - especially with Taurus transmission issues - why experiment?

That being said - with an older transmission.... is it a good idea to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic? I've not changed my tranny fluid at regular intervals.... I've put the car in "semi-retirement" for the moment. (no more long trips with 166k on the clock) I'm curious to your thoughts.

:ford:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
There are a few "multi" ATF fluids that do work. At my second job we use Shell Multi ATF for some cars. It can be used in either DexIII/Mercon, or MerconV., Chrysler 7176 + 9602(ATF+3 and +4) We have changed tranny fluid numerous times with no problems. However, I buy only Mercon V for my car. I still do not trust the "multi" fluids. Just put in there exactly what it says to put in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts