Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Taurus GL 3.0...trans dipstick says to use Mercon. Doing a pan drop and filter change...I have some Mercon V left over from another job. I was under the impression you could use Mercon V in place of Mercon, but not the other way 'round.....can I use it here? (Pan sez it's an AX4N)

Thanks...

J

·
0 Posts
The two are not interchangeable. Make sure you find out for sure which one is right before you use any. I know my Gen 4 takes Mercon V, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for your case. I would either look it up in your manual (if you have one) or call your local Ford dealership's service department and ask them, or somebody here will probably post which one it is. I thought they were all supposed to be Mercon V, but don't take my word for it. :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
No they are not compatible.

I personally would not use Ford Mercon V in any transmission. I much prefer a universal synthetic like Amsoil. Wal-Mart also sells a universal synthetic that meets all requirements. Half the price of Amsoil too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I'm presenting my question here is that I had a '94 T-bird that developed the all-too-common torque converter shudder...a Pennzoil tech support dude told me to try using Mercon V and it DID cure the shudder, with no adverse side effects...I know these are two very different transmissions, so I just want to be sure using Mercon V won't hurt anything.

*EDIT* I also found this on Exxon's site, concerning AAMCO Mercon V (which is made by Exxon):

"It is also approved for applications where Ford Mercon type fluid is recommended."

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Valvoline says their Full Synthetic is safe to use wherever Mercon V is called for. I Emailed them and they sent me a white page on it.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is completely safe to use Mercon V wherever Mercon is called for. I've used Mercon V, instead of the called for Mercon, even in my 2000 Duratec's power steering unit--it works fine. Mercon V is a partial synthetic that has superior low temperature flow and anti-shudder characteristics. It is a clearly superior product to old Mercon and outperforms it in all respects.

I'm into performance lubricants and would recommend Amsoil ATF, the only full-synthetic ATF that I'm aware of that meets Mercon V's requirements. Automatic transmission fluid is the most complex lubricant of all and AX4Ns can punish you badly, if you don't take care of them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, topgun...I wish I'd seen it before I chickened out and went back to Wally World to exchange the Mercon V for regular Mercon.

I know you can use Mercon V in place of Mercon in most of Ford's RWD transmissions, but I wasn't so sure about the FWD transaxles, and since the car isn't mine, I didn't want to risk it...oh well, now I know...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Every Mercon V fluid, that I'm aware of, is also Mercon rated. Mercon V can be substituted for Mercon, but not visa-versa. Product information by Pennzoil, Mobil, and Valvoline, among others, certifies this and is readily available on-line. I also verified this with the local Ford dealer.

This is similar to brake fluid, where DOT 4 products can be used in applications calling for DOT 3. DOT 4 products meet and exceed the DOT 3 federal specifications for wet and dry boiling points. Valvoline SynPower Brake Fluid, for instance, exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4 ratings. DOT 4 fluids can be used where DOT 3 fluids are called for, but not visa-versa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts