Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was going to take my bull to Dallas from San Antonio, but when i noticed that it was slowing down going up hills. Its not the transmission. So i turned around and headed back home. Well about 1 mile from getting home, i heard this pressure sound just come out of nowhere. So i pulled over and checked out under the hood and noticed this sensor has a hole in it. What could have caused it to do that? The only thing i did recently was removed my intake silencer. Could that have caused that to happen? What did it? I really want to know. Thanks :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Solenoid or sensor? You've used both words. Where exactly is the component with the pressure sound located?

There is a DPFE sensor, much discussed because it fails so often. There is also an EGR control solenoid, not so problematic.

On my 04, the DPFE, which is rectangular, is mounted next to the EGR valve about an inch over toward the passenger side and has 2 thickish tubes coming to it from tubes welded into the exhaust manifold directly beneath. The EGR solenoid is mounted just above the front fuel rail on the passenger side. It is cylindrical, has a castellated top and two small black tubes in its lower section, one that runs from the upper intake manifold (vacuum source), one that runs to the top of the EGR valve. Both the sensor and the solenoid have electrical connectors on them.

EDIT: whoops, sorry, just saw the "Duratec" in your user name -- if your engine is the duratec, I don't know where the DPFE is... /EDIT

I could see how the DPFE might erode to the point where a hole forms, erode rather than melt because the plastic it is made from doesn't melt in the conventional way.

It's possible the silicone tubes feeding the DPFE have come off or holed (they also don't melt).

I guess if either one of the 2 pressure transducers in the DPFE were to fail and allow gases through, there might be enough flow to cause real problems. Exhaust doesn't really flow in the tubes if the transducers and the tubes are healthy.

As for the solenoid, I've had one problem with the EGR control solenoid -- one of the nipples broke off. Because it runs off engine vacuum, it's hard to believe that this component melted (a failure in the pneumatic circuit would be drawing cooler outside air into the system, and the temperature at the vacuum side in the intake manifold is also ambient temperature or a little above.)

I suppose if the solenoid coil shorted and heated, that could be a plastic-y mess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry, i posted the wrong thing lol. I meant to put the EGR Feedback Sensor. Its that Rectangular thing that 2 tubes connect to. Yea it just melted a hole somehow. But my car is the Vulcan. I dont know how to change my name. I used to have a 99 Sable that had the Duratec

1 - 4 of 4 Posts