Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used "Meguiar's Black Wax"?

I have a 09 with a Tuxedo Black paint job, I have heard that it brings out a deeper black, way better then any regular wax, removes swirls and fills in better all the little scratches.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Get some Adam's Brillant Polish and Buttery Wax, and you get a great finish. Also if you clay bar and use some Revive Polish before the other two, you will get an awesome finish.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As far as bringing out the shine in your black paint, nothing will beat a good buff/polish with a buffer and compound. As far as black paint specific waxes, a lot of them have pigment fillers that just "cover up" the swirls and small scratches. ive always pushed fixing paint first before you wax it. And as far as claybar. Youre going to definitely want to buff after that. Micro marring occurs during the clay bar process which creates a slight haze to paint, extremely noticeable on black paint. All i have to say is choose the method that will work for your situation.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
+1 one to the clay bar, a good buffing with some compound and some good wax.

My concern with a pigmented wax on the Tuxedo Black paint is that you would loose some of the metallic sparkle. A good, clear wax adds even more depth to an already awesome looking color. I've had two cars with Tuxedo Black paint. Still have one. A good surface prep with the clay bar and some rubbing compound, followed by a good coat of quality wax, yields an incredible finish that is easy to maintain.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im a huge detailing buff (do ya see what i did there). Pretty much any quality brand carnauba wax or synthetic sealant will do a good job at PROTECTING the shine that you established with a good claybar/buff. IMO wax doesnt add shine. It adds protection.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I would caution against using compound on a clearcoat finish, compound will remove the clearcoat and you are just asking for more problems. With all the high quality Swirl and Scratch Removers available (just check out Autogeek to see how many are available) you are much safer using them before wax to correct the paint.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Clay bars are great for smoothing out and getting a clean smooth surface on the car. They remove ingrained contaminants that are seemingly adhered to the surface of the clear coat. I use a clay bar once or twice a year before I wax my car and I'm always happy with the results. I'm a strong believer in waxing your car four times per year. as far as the meguiars black wax stuff, I have not personally used the stuff (seeing as I have never owned a black car). However I see several of my customers at work buy the stuff; it must do a decent job. However as others have mentioned the black wax should really only be used on a plain Jain black paint job that doesn't have any metallic or other effects in it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For quick polishes I like to use Ammo leveling fluid. Does a great job at smoothing out paint without being too aggressive. Finishes down very well too. The only zaino product I use is the border less blonde towels

·
Registered
1 Posts
best wax i have found for a near mirror shine finish is chemical guys wet butter wax. Goes on easy an is the easiest wax ive used to take off!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wax and polish is subjective to each owner but I will definitely recommend a good Clay Bar Treatment especially with a 09 and BLACK. Mothers makes a good claybar kit that comes with the spray detailer required for lubrication, Two clay bars AND a Micro Fiber cleaning cloth. I just used a Clay bar on my 2013 Taurus AND my G/F's 2011 Honda Accord. Time consuming but fairly simple concept. Wash, Rinse, Clay, High pressure rinse again (to remove any excess clay bar residue and or instant detail residue. Polish, Wax and Enjoy....Expect to spend about 2 hours on Claying at least first time less after it has been done a few times. At Very minimum Clay before Winter and After so maybe October-April and maybe one in between. It is time consuming but definitely worth the effort. When you see how dirty the clay bar comes back remember that is micro contaminants and dirt/debris that the normal washing and rinsing DOES NOT GET.......Provides a cleaner and slicker surface for polish and wax to adhere too. Google Chemical Guys Clay Bar on YouTube videos.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Chemical guys does a lot of excelent videos but when it comes down to it, they are a resaler (is that even a word) on SOME products. anything branded with the chemical guys name is their stuff, but anything that doesnt say chemical guys specifically is a re sold product and you can buy it at a cheaper rate directly from that specific manufacturer. Just a bit of advice. BUT, i am a advocate of a good ol polish. I love to do it. Dual action polishers are the best becasue they GREATLY decrease the chance for burn throughs and halograms or "swirls". it takes a bit longer to get the resuolt you want, but as they say, a rotory polisher is like a surgeons knife and a dual action polisher is like a butter knife. Both with do the job, one just takes a bit longer and doesnt cut as deep or as fast. But back to the point, clay bar, DA polish, sealant, wax. Call her good and wash her right. thats all it takes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts