Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,I am trying to find the proper measuring tool that would measure both the brake drum and brake rotor. I have a set of rotors that could be still usable, but i don't know how much is left and are they still within the usable specs. i went to my local store and there are many types of micrometer. I'm not sure what kind to purchase, could someone pls help?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
a good parts store has the ability to measure them for you. normally the old school local parts store with a machine shop that turns the rotors or drums on a lathe.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
a good parts store has the ability to measure them for you. normally the old school local parts store with a machine shop that turns the rotors or drums on a lathe.
I would not turn a drum. New shoes are ground to the arc of the factory spec drum ID. They fit quite well. If you turn a drum, then the arc is different and you can put the shoe inside the drum and it makes contact in only one spot. It will perform poorly and make the pedal soft. Heats one high spot and glazes the shoe before it wears in. Rears wear very slowly and it will take a long time to get a good fit.

Back in the day, I have used a disc sander and changed the arc by sanding off some of the shoe in the center and blending it out. Dusty and labor intensive for what you get.

See pic for new drum as example. $18.50~ at RockAuto.

-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts