Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you have a standards CD that will put out a steady frequency you can, otherwise the fast changes are almost impossible to record. There are digital amp meters that can record high and lows though.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Get a test tone. (50hz should work) realmofexcursion.com has test tone downloads.
Disconnect the positive lead on the amp or sub
Play test tone
Connect an ammeter in series with the sub (this will be likely more load than your DMM can handle, they are usually rated for 10 amps, my amp will output 20+ amps)- Set to AC
Record amperage
Measure voltage output of the amp on same test tone and volume.

amps*volts= watts

This is assuming no clipping. You should do it without bass boost engaged, flat eq settings, etc.

I think that's right

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get a test tone. (50hz should work) realmofexcursion.com has test tone downloads.
Disconnect the positive lead on the amp or sub
Play test tone
Connect an ammeter in series with the sub (this will be likely more load than your DMM can handle, they are usually rated for 10 amps, my amp will output 20+ amps)- Set to AC
Record amperage
Measure voltage output of the amp on same test tone and volume.

amps*volts= watts

This is assuming no clipping. You should do it without bass boost engaged, flat eq settings, etc.

I think that's right
[/b]
Sorry, but your formula is for DC circuit, not AC (50Hz audio is a 50 Hz sine or square wave).
Try this http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase...ic/powerac.html

Actually, fot this application the DC calc may be close enough......

·
Registered
5 Posts
the BEST way, is to get a DMM with peak hold, and a clamp!! this way it measures under load.(for instance if your givin your amp a 1ohm final load)...Then use a equation of some sorts...Since amplifiers output is measured in AC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts