Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background: pulled codes (p171/p174) being a little frustrated I took it to a place that came rated very good. They kept my vehicle for three (3) days. All they did was run the fuel system cleaning. So far, it has kept the codes off. Now I have a p1518. I checked this area, after checking on this website. I found that the little metal arms (2) were laying and the plastic little holders were all broken. I replaced the plastic holders, placed the little arms back in place, secured everything back in its place. The code (p1518) went away. The following day, son took vehicle to get tranny flushed and filled. Now its hesitating and jerking. Maybe low on fluid??

Thanks in advance
Joe D.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I hate to tell you, but depending on what type of flush and fill procedure they did, they could have loosened varnishes and deposits that had built up on the transmission, which might now be blocking fluid passages. Hopefully, your son took it to a dealership, that did a proper flush procedure, which uses the internal transmission pump, rather than a force flush, which can damage the components in the transmission.

Other than that, I don't have much to tell you...uhhh...are you sure they used Mercon V for the transmission, as opposed to Dexron or Mercon III?

JR

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had him take it to an Xpress Lube, that I've used before. Maybe cheaper isn't always better. On the paperwork it reads Merc V and I told him to make sure he tells them merc V. Other than that...

Thanks JR
Joe D.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
P0171 and P0174 together indicates a lean condition CLEAN YOUR MAF SENSOR - The maf tells the ECU how much air is coming in and over time the MAF can become contaminated by PCV (Crankcase Vapors) and then the engine thinks it's running lean, that's why they make this stuff...

CRC MAF CLEANER

The MAF also has an effect on the transmission as far as shift points go as well.
It helped my 139K Taurus for sure.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
They do, but the oil vapor is still in the tube after the car is shut off. It doesn't matter where it is, unless it's behind the throttle plate that oil vapor still collects. Think of it this way, if MAF sensors don't get dirty than why do they make MAF cleaner ?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
If it did loosen up some stuff, Lucas Transmission Oil Conditioner works very well to help get the junk out of the throttlebody and down to the filter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the replies. I went to O'reilly and bought some "MAF" cleaner, it threw a code for this, but went away once it ran for awhile. I've narrowed it down, after doing much research. I believe the noise and movement is due to a failing camshaft position synchronizer. I've gotten on "u tube" and listened to other's with identical sounds and similar vehicles (Ford). I have the same "churping" sound. It starts out low and then makes it to a loud point and then my engine stumbles. Then the cycle start over. I'm going today to pickup the part (non Dorman) and replace.

Joe D.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it still drivable??

since I've narrowed the churping sound down to the camshaft synchronizer, can you still drive the vehicle??

Thanks in advance

Joe D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts