Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time in 6 months I've had to add fluid to the reservoir, and yep, you guessed it, the brake booster is moist. What I'm wondering is if there's any chance in heck that I can put on the new master cylinder without having to take it to the dealer for the HCU bleeding? I know I've seen MityVac style pumps that attach to radiators for bleeding cooling systems, and I wonder if anyone makes an attachment for master cylinder reservoirs. I hate for an $80 repair to turn into a $200 one plus the lost time at the dealer. BTW 97 Duratech with ABS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (WJC @ May 24 2009, 01:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727553
For the second time in 6 months I've had to add fluid to the reservoir, and yep, you guessed it, the brake booster is moist. What I'm wondering is if there's any chance in heck that I can put on the new master cylinder without having to take it to the dealer for the HCU bleeding? I know I've seen MityVac style pumps that attach to radiators for bleeding cooling systems, and I wonder if anyone makes an attachment for master cylinder reservoirs. I hate for an $80 repair to turn into a $200 one plus the lost time at the dealer. BTW 97 Duratech with ABS.[/b]
not sure if there is any other way.. shouldn't cost to much to do it from dealership only takes couple mins on a scanner and a road test. just tell them what you did and what you want done.. if its a decent dealership should only charge you 0.5hr

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
the college i go to has all the tools to bleed the brakes and purge the abs sytem you could try finding something similar my school only charges for parts and tax no labor... might be worth a shot?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You should not have to bleed the ABS unit when you replace the MC.

Change the MC.
Disconnect the MC lines from the ABS.
Let them gravity bleed then connect to the ABS. The ABS when off has the valves closed.

Once done go out on a gravel road and repeatably activate the ABS. Then come back and bleed the brakes normally if the pedal does not feel as good as you want.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 24 2009, 06:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727574
You should not have to bleed the ABS unit when you replace the MC.

Change the MC.
Disconnect the MC lines from the ABS.
Let them gravity bleed then connect to the ABS. The ABS when off has the valves closed.

Once done go out on a gravel road and repeatably activate the ABS. Then come back and bleed the brakes normally if the pedal does not feel as good as you want.[/b]
:werd:

We replaced the Master cylinder in my 2001 Sable on Friday in the back yard. The last part Paul ha suggested is key, because without activating the ABS the pedal was still dead, but after giving it a couple of good kicks, it's back to where it should be.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Now I have to find a gravel road somewhere in suburbia. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts