Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can provide some light on my recent brake experience

Last spring 2010 I took my 03 sel wagon (70k mi) in to the mechanic because I thought I had a dragging parking brake (which I use daily).

I could hear a grinding noise when backing out of the driveway but didn't notice it during regular driving and didn't notice a lack of braking performance. (Roters/Pads were new in Spring 08, Hawk HPS pads and mid grade slotted roters).

Diagnosis was a failed Master Cylinder and 2 seized calipers on the rear discs. Front calipers/roters/pads were OK but rear roters/pads would also need to be replaced.

I thought the MC had 2 "circuits" for controlling the braking, 1 path controlled the front passenger and rear driver brakes, second path controlled front drivers and rear passenger brakes.

I'm having trouble understanding how I could lose the 2 rear calipers and not have similar damage on the front end.

Thoughts and TIA?

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
I wonder if just the caliper slide pins were seized keeping the brakes applied on affected wheel(s) (rears are notorious for this), although ive changed out a couple of hanging calipers. I think the brakes (mc) are split diagonally so if you lose half, such as broken line and loss of fluid, you still have partial braking front and rear.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The brake system IS diagonally split (left front/right rear \ right front/left rear). I believe I read somewhere that it's a federally mandated safety feature since the early 70's (don't quote me).

As for the grinding - are you sure it wasn't just the morning surface rust? Aside from that, rear calipers are generally a pita with the slides corroding and pistons seizing. I had problems with rear calipers when I had a car with them, and now my brother has a car with rear calipers and, while not as bad (yet), he's having some of the same problems.

When I was dealing with it, I spoke with many parts guy who said the same thing.. one with a stories of late 90's GM's dropping the rear calipers on the road...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts