Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting error code P1131 on my '96 Taurus. I've checked everything suggested that I have the ability to check, and am pretty confident it is the MAF sensor.

I just changed the plugs and they were white (which I understand indicates it is running lean-fits with code P1131 and MAF problems). Interestingly, I unplugged the MAF and I noticed better shifting, which was a complaint of mine. Shifting had been rough betwen first and second and improved considerably without the MAF. A surprise, really. I hadn't thought this as a possible cause for rough shifting, but maybe so. (http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm)

The problem is that I have cleaned the MAF twice using CRC MAF cleaner with no noticable improvement. I just bought the car, so I'm wondering if maybe somebody may have cleaned the MAF previously with something inappropriate, or maybe it is too far gone to clean.

Anyone have any suggestions as to cleaning the MAF beyond spraying it with MAF cleaner? I'm at the point of replacing it "just to see" and am willing to be a bit more aggresive/risky with my cleaning.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the sensor just has a deposit build up it is easily cleaned with some non residue contact cleaner. Take it off and see if you can actually see the two small heater wires. If you can then just spray them down. Do not touch them as they are quite fragile. If you can't see them and they are in a tube try just flooding the tube with the cleaner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I think I'll try one last time, including cleaning the contacts, and spraying the back of the resistors (I didn't have the right Torx bit to do that previously).

Last resort is to make a run to The States. A MAF sensor here in Canada is more 2.5x the price it is south of the border.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts