Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can i remove the bolts to clean my mass air flow senser. There is hard black stuff on head of the bolts and i cant get the black stuff off to be able to remove the senser?

·
Registered
68 Posts
QUOTE (Dave78 @ Jun 4 2010, 08:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809389
How can i remove the bolts to clean my mass air flow senser. There is hard black stuff on head of the bolts and i cant get the black stuff off to be able to remove the senser?[/b]
Do you have the right tools? (e.g. the screws that hold the MAF sensor into place have Torx heads on them.) You'll need to ensure you buy a set of bits that will function with "secure" or anti-tamper Torx bit screws. Autozone sells a set of these bits with a 1/4" socket for about $9.00.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (t2t @ Jun 4 2010, 09:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809433
QUOTE (Dave78 @ Jun 4 2010, 08:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809389
How can i remove the bolts to clean my mass air flow senser. There is hard black stuff on head of the bolts and i cant get the black stuff off to be able to remove the senser?[/b]
Do you have the right tools? (e.g. the screws that hold the MAF sensor into place have Torx heads on them.) You'll need to ensure you buy a set of bits that will function with "secure" or anti-tamper Torx bit screws. Autozone sells a set of these bits with a 1/4" socket for about $9.00.
[/b][/quote]

If you take the airbox loose like you are going to change the air filter you can spray the wire element that protrudes into the airway without taking the sensor loose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try that. I cant get to the head of the screw because some hard black stuff is attached to head of screw. I know it takes the tamper proff type trox bit. I will just take whole thing off and tip it upside down and clean it and let it dry before putting back together

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You can remove anything that is connected to the MAF...just be careful when you take out the sensor which is a wire and try to avoid touching it with your hands or get grease and gunk on it. I believe it uses a star pattern. You can clean it better with MAF cleaner. Do not use Electrical Cleaner, it will damage the sensor.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
As has been said, when you take things apart to clean the MAF sensor, take care to keep it & the inside of the air duct squeeky clean on tear down & reassembly.

Use a non residual cleaner, like CRC MAF spray cleaner, so you don't get any drying deposits on the MAF sensor wire, that would corrupt it's calibration & PID output to the computer.

If you've recently driven, it's also important to let the sensor cool, before temperature shocking it with the cold spray cleaner & don't spray it with full force, such that mechanical damage is done.

Before cleaning, you'll want to pull the battery B- cable to erase the computers fuel trim tables, so it can begin to build new tables with the PID from the cleaned MAF sensor.

To avoid driveability problems after cleaning the MAF sensor, you'll also likely want to at least go through the cold & warm idle relearn strategy for the computer. The remainder of what it needs to relearn it can likey do while you drive it in town & on the road, without undue driveability problems. If not, then you'll have to go through Fords complete relearn drive cycle, which is rather long, but doable & a forum search will turn it up.

If you find the inside of the air duct or MAF sensor dirty, you'll want to look up stream & find out Why & How it got dirty inside & put it right, or it'll happen again!!!!

Things like a modified air intake, damaged air box or air tube, improperly buttoned up air box or air tube, illfitting or damaged air filter, over oiled, or a foam or cotton gauze type air filter are known to foul the MAF sensor, are some things that come to mind.

A bunch more thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
One thing I'd like to add...I've cleaned my MAF sensor a few times...one time I cleaned it on a 90 degree day and ran into a snag...I sprayed the sensor with CRC MAF cleaner, and instead of evaporating immediately like it normally does, it began 'sweating' like a cold glass on a hot day because the spray cools it down sooo much. I had to go into the air conditioned house and clean the sensor, let it evaporate, and then reinstalled it into the air cleaner housing, then re-installed the housing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts