Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2002 Taurus SEL with 90K, the DOHC Duratec engine. Recently the alternator went out & I replaced it with a Denso rebuild from Rock Auto. Since the work was completed, something new is occurring, the 3 interior lights (2 front,1 rear) stay on for several minutes after all of the doors are securely closed. (Sometimes they don't go out at all) Thus far it hasn't created a problem with the battery but it IS different from before the alternator went out. Previously the inside lights went out after doors closed, the lights at the base of the mirrors stayed on for a minute or so. I've owned this car for about 3 years now and shortly after I got it, the inside lights would remain on indefinitely, I gave up trying to replace the door switch located INSIDE the door panel. Instead, I ended up lubing REALLY well the latch mechanism and repeatedly opening/closing the door. That freed up the sticking switch. So I'm curious as to why this might be occurring now-About the only thing that I can think of that might account for this issue is I had the passenger side jacked up, but not so the driver's side, so maybe the driver's latch or pillar was tweaked ever so slightly. And yes, I tried spray lube the latch again.

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
Bob, I have has SOME success by spraying (soaking) the darn near impossible to get to (especially for me as I have big hands) door ajar switch with contact cleaner to clean it out, followed by WD40 after the contact cleaner has evaporated. I take at least 2 of those red plastic tubes that come with cans of WD40, brake cleaner, etc and string them in series by joining them together with inch or so long pieces of 16 or 18 AWG wire insulation and bending the plastic tubes so I can direct the spray exactly where I want it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks-It seems since the post the problem may have taken a vacation. But I will probably follow your suggestion anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It turned out to be the dimmer switch-when the car died from the faulty alternator, my wife started operating switches to turn on the 4 way flashers! The dimmer switch can be used to have all the inside lights on. Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts