Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I went to Autozone to have the PCM codes revtrieved today after some intermittent stumbling of the Duratec under load....

It revealed:

P0420 - O2 Sensor before Cat (I knew about this one) - where is the thing located?

P0113 - "The PCM had determined that the input from the intake air temp. sensor is higher than expected"

P0304 - Misfire detected in cylinder #4 (probably what the stuttering was) - I intend to replace plugs and wires shortly.

Now the worrying part:

P1174 - "Torque Converter Clutch stuck in closed position".

WHAAAT????

Please don't tell me my transmission's about to go out!!! :(

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
285 Posts
After the car is started, and you shift out of Park into Reverse or Drive, is there anything unusual? ESPECIALLY an unusual noise? Does the engine stumble and/or die?

If the clutch was truly jammed on, it would be like a manual transmission in that the engine couldn't run when the car was stopped and in gear. It would be like pulling up to a Stop sign and forgetting to push the clutch in.

At the very least, I'd expect to hear some sort of noise from the torque converter clutch, if the engine didn't die.

My next question would be "Why does the PCM think the clutch is stuck closed?".

Is there a pressure switch somewhere? You'll need a schematic, probably.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan - there's nothing at all suspicious with the way it drives... I'd have never thought that there was anything wrong with the transmission otherwise.
It's weird.

FVT: almost 106,000 miles.

BTW, the stumbling thing seems to have stopped... I think I got water somewhere it shouldn't have been when I cleaned the engine.
I still need plugs and wires though :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
My book lists P1174 as being the Cam Sensor code. :huh:

My book is "OBD II Diagnostic Fault Codes" that I got off of Amazon. ISBN 0-9715411-5-9

Can anyone else verify this? I just got the book, and could be reading something wrong.

EDIT: Ok, something is definitely not kosher here. My other reference book (same author and publisher) says that P1174 is "System too lean - banks 1 and 2 (suspect HO2S)"

The explanation is "While the engine is running and in closed loop, the PCM detected banks 1 and 2 to be out of its designated spec, check for faults, possible O2 sensor"

That's 3 definitions for the same code. WHAT GIVES?! :blink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing that it's different codes from different software in different cars....

I got my first description from Autozone: P1174 - "Torque Converter Clutch Performance"

The second one (the one I stated eariler) I got from the Chilton manual for the Taurus/Sable: P1174 - "Torque Converter Clutch Stuck in Closed Position"

I echo you, Dan!
What gives?!?! I don't wanna pay for something to get fixed that isn't broke!

Like I said, the car drives like a dream!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
If it is a torque converter code and nothing feels strange, I'd point my finger at a sensor. If, however, it really is engine related (like the other manuals seem to imply), you could have a problem, or it could still be a sensor.

-Dan

·
Registered
285 Posts
I double-checked the way I was looking things up; and it isn't because I'm still a newbie to this. That's the way my books read. Thank you, Diablosport! :(

I cross checked codes between the Factory Service Manuals for the wife's '01 Montana, and these new books. There is a general correlation, but some code definitions miss by a mile. I'll trust my factory manuals as being the accurate ones.

More later, as I learn new things. <_<

1 - 9 of 9 Posts