Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about all Fords, but I think it worked on my Gen 2 (didn't really want to mess up my trans by keep trying). I won't try it on my new car until after the break in.

But...

My B-in-L had a Mustang with a shift kit and to hit every gear at WOT he could shift from 1st to D than back to 1st and it would only shift up to 2nd.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes that is for the autos that don't have the 2nd gear indicator.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Yeah, that spot is almost more appropriatly labeled "L" for Low. It will put you in the lowest possible gear without redlining. I wouldn't put it in "1" if you're above 3K RPM though. A bit rough on the engine.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I think the point is to put the tranny in 2nd so you can decend hills at a higher speed. If you're in 1st, and you take off until redline, you're still in first gear. If you shift it into Drive, it'll upshift into 2nd and maybe 3rd, but when you downshift back into 1st, the computer doesn't want the car to blow up, so it'll downshift into 2nd gear.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
You can also use it for passing/merging on the highway. If you put the shifter into D or 1, you'll be in third or maybe second and you'll have much better power.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
If you put the shifter into D or 1, you'll be in third or maybe second and you'll have much better power.[/b]
...I just drop the pedal to the floor, and I accomplish the very same thing

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Not quite, you can drop it into low at 70mph and it will go into second (if you just hammer the gas, it will only go into third).

If you shuffle shift to get it into second, and stay above 15mph and floor it, it will lug the engine and stay in second. Very handy for dyno runs!

Mustang and Tbird guys have been shuffle shifting for years, nothing electronic about it, its all about pressure. The shifter is connected to a manual linkage and the concept works the same for electronic models or non-electronic.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I manually shift my '97 about 60% of the time. It helps to have a floor shifter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got a 90 Vulcan with an AXOD so my tranny isn't computer controlled. Somehow I think that if I'm doin 70 and I drop it into 1st, my engine will sh*t itself.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
OK now, with my 96 GL, I think the only thing that I have is 1, D & Overdrive for fwd gears... ? why could they have provided all the gears in the range..
is not D =3 gear & OD=4th? So they did not let me choose 2nd ..

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
you can drop it into low at 70mph and it will go into second[/b]
Since my tranny shifts into 3rd just before 70mph at WOT, it would do me absolutely NO good whatsoever to shift into second at that point

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heh, this is sweet. I tried it in my dad's Taurus last night. I wonder if i can use this to force my taurus into second...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 28 2004, 08:56 PM
OK now, with my 96 GL, I think the only thing that I have is 1, D & Overdrive for fwd gears... ? why could they have provided all the gears in the range..
is not D =3 gear & OD=4th? So they did not let me choose 2nd ..
It's not a bug, it's a feature. Thank Ford's penny pinchers I guess.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I think the reason why the shift quadrant shows OD-D-1 is because the Taurus originally came with a 3-speed transaxle and a 4-cyl as the base configuration and Ford was probably too lazy/cheap to update the shift quadrant to accomodate the 4-speed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its really hard on the bands in the transmission. There is a wiring upgrade you can do to use L, D, OD to be 1,2,3 and have a switch on the dash for 4th.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts