Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has a '92 SHO with a bad engine (spun rod bearing, and cam lobe damage, he bought it that way). He no longer wants the car and was going to sell it very cheap (like $400). The 5 speed trans was rebuilt and has about 50k miles on it.

The interior is trashed, exterior is ok, has some good dents (mostly roof, hail storm). The car is not worthy of spending the $$$ on a new yamaha engine. The cost of a new yamahammer way exceeds the value of the car.

Today I just found a decent '92 3.0L vulcan GL. It has about 20k on a new vulcan motor, but the trans is shot... Interior is good, exterior has some bumper damage and door damage. Cost is $200 firm

Hmmm :headscratch:

By the grace of God, every part I would need to make the exterior of the GL look good is good on the SHO (including both SHO bumpers, etc..)

I could put the MTX IV in the GL, and do everything right for less than the cost of a new AX4S tranny..

Comments, Suggestions??

Does this seem like a worthwhile project?

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, thanks Americasfuture for the idea!

Does anyone know if the vulcan will bolt up to the SHO 5 speed subframe? Or would it be easier to modify the auto subframe for the mtx iv? Like I said, I have the donor car.

Also, what did you do about the exhaust? I suppose I could use the SHO cat-back, but what about the downtubes and cats?

Still deciding if I want to do this... I already have 2 cars now, and I'd have to somehow dump the SHO carcass when I'm done.

Jeramie

G

·
There are Gen I & II SHO's going on ebay with trashed bodies and interiors, but good engines dirty cheap all the time... might want to look into that. :)

also... you could probably get a junkyard or scrap metal yard to take any carcasses either for free or possibly pay you for them when you're done.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by 95SE@May 21 2004, 01:39 PM

By the grace of God, every part I would need to make the exterior of the GL look good is good on the SHO (including both SHO bumpers, etc..)
Jeramie, the front bumper won't fit unless you bolt up the SHO fenders/lights or modify the fascia with fiberglass. Just a heads-up.

Tom

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly, that's why I'm using the sho fenders, one of the GL's has a big dent. The corner lights are different, and I think the SHO header panel is different too.

The SHO hood has hail damage, so I will have to use the GL hood.

But the SHO fenders are in good shape.

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Modify the AX4S subframe to accept the MTX-IV. That's what I was planning on doing with Vanessa when I had the parts together.

Good luck with the swap; let us know how it turns out! :D

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by 95SE@May 21 2004, 11:16 PM
exactly, that's why I'm using the sho fenders, one of the GL's has a big dent. The corner lights are different, and I think the SHO header panel is different too.

The SHO hood has hail damage, so I will have to use the GL hood.

But the SHO fenders are in good shape.

Jeramie
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
you HAVE to get an mtx sho subframe in order for the sho's mtx to work. Since the mounts and suspension are differnent. or you can just buy my sho for 1700 and have everything already done... :p

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by Tman@May 22 2004, 01:26 AM
you HAVE to get an mtx sho subframe in order for the sho's mtx to work. Since the mounts and suspension are differnent. or you can just buy my sho for 1700 and have everything already done... :p
OR you can modify an AX4S subframe. Like I was going to do, and like americasfuture did.

And exactly what part of the suspension is different? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue+May 21 2004, 07:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TrueBlue @ May 21 2004, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-95SE@May 21 2004, 01:39 PM

Jeramie, the front bumper won't fit unless you bolt up the SHO fenders/lights or modify the fascia with fiberglass. Just a heads-up.

Tom [/b][/quote]
I don't know about that, but americasfuture did manage to get the SHO's front bumper to bolt up to his GL w/o the SHO fender or headlights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts