Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made a ball joint removal tool for the Taurus? As in hand made. I need to do ball joints on mine and I don't really feel like buying the tool. If anyone has any successful designs they would like to share, let me know!

I'm thinking of using a really strong pipe, large enough for the ball joint to slide through but small enough to sit nicely on the lip. Then have a plate on the other side to grab the nut, on top of the pipe would be a plate the same size as the lower plate, both plates would be held together with two bolts, one on each side to tighten down and apply pressure to the balljoint.

Diagram:

Think this would work?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Get the rental tool from Oriley's or AutoZone. You will also need the Taurus / Sable adapter kit to go along with the press kit. The press kit by itself is useless on our cars. When you rent the tool you get 100 percent of your money back when you take it back.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the rental tool from Oriley's or AutoZone. You will also need the Taurus / Sable adapter kit to go along with the press kit. The press kit by itself is useless on our cars. When you rent the tool you get 100 percent of your money back when you take it back.
Too bad I'm from Canada. CanadianTire wants more than that to rent them, I wanted to get their fan clutch pulley puller (f150 engine) from their rent a tool program and they wanted around $200 just for that, sure you get your money back but I'm not laying out that kind of cash for a tool I don't own. Does harbor freight ship to Canada? That's not a bad price. I have heard one negative response, what would the reasoning be for it not to work? Clearance? Angle?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Too bad I'm from Canada. CanadianTire wants more than that to rent them, I wanted to get their fan clutch pulley puller (f150 engine) from their rent a tool program and they wanted around $200 just for that, sure you get your money back but I'm not laying out that kind of cash for a tool I don't own. Does harbor freight ship to Canada? That's not a bad price. I have heard one negative response, what would the reasoning be for it not to work? Clearance? Angle?
I put the rental on my Credit Card and have the refund applied to the same card. As long as the rental and return are in the same billing cycle you will never know the money was gone. The charge and credit cancel each other out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well they ship to alaska so why not Canada CS # is 1-800-444-3353.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmm! I am very reluctant to start bitching about Canadians being screwed on autopart prices. It's Free Trade but Canadians are nevertheless screwed on autoparts!! It's not the American stores, it's the thieving Canadian stores! In my fantasies I hope every Canadian buys all their stuff from US stores and tell their local thieves to @@@@- @@@ . Stealerships are the worst up here--no proper sense of competition---all monopolies!! It's not as bad as Europe where owning a vehicle is a Sacred SIN and they tax the song birds out of the trees and charge 200% on gasoline and even worse stories. Sounds like they pay $100 for an oil change in Europe. Why don't they attach pedometers . Americans think they are badly off but you are the easiest off, life is easy compared to those other nations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did Ford reverse the mounting of the ball joint in 2000 or 2001 from the lower control arm to the steering knuckle? The press doesn't work so swell trying to press it into the steering knuckle. Most suspension diagrams I found back then showed the Ball Joint in the lower control arm with the stud pointing up. Or did I just dream that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.