Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone interested in making their own engine products, such as underdrive pulleys, needs to check this out: www.emachineshop.com
If someone could design a set of under drive pulleys for my 2002 Vulcan and let me know how much it costs, I'd be very greatful. I would do it myself but with what little knowledge I have about UDPs, I'd likely screw somethin up. This thing even tells you how much it's gonna cost to make. You could even set up group buys through this program, although someone would have to collect the $$$ and then send it all off at one time.
Or if someone could, send the specs of and how to make an under drive pulley and what to make it out of.

The download is free, so try it.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Yeah, this was posted about a year ago. Generated a lot of interest, but I haven't heard any feedback on it yet.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Is it possiblle to put a UDP on a Gen 2 essex? I saw horsepower tv on them the other day and now I understand how they work. Im not gonna put a new one on my alternator but i will put a smaller wheel and pulley. Also how much hp do you guys think id get?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
hm you want to put a smaller pulley on your alt and make it spin faster? maby you ment bigger, if thats the case i'm not sure, maby a few but I don't have any figures to spit out, anytime you slow down your accesories den you will gain a bit of power.

p.s. don't go too big you the alt may not fully charge your battery.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Will the 3.0L Ranger UDPs work? Someone mentioned that a while ago, but I don't know if anyone has tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
somedude Posted on Aug 26 2004, 04:15 PM
  hm you want to put a smaller pulley on your alt and make it spin faster? maby you ment bigger, if thats the case i'm not sure, maby a few but I don't have any figures to spit out, anytime you slow down your accesories den you will gain a bit of power.
p.s. don't go too big you the alt may not fully charge your battery. 
I think he meant that he wants to put on a smaller crank pulley. That slows EVERYTHING down, without having to put larger pulleys on each accessory.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never saw the post from a year ago, maybe cause I wasn't a member yet.

As far as feedback, CNN did a whole story on it. Someone posted the CNN story link on the V8SHO.com mailing list and I just happend to look over it.

Anyways, I just finished the process of making the "flywheel" example they use to help beginners start using the program. Took about 10 mins, but it could have been less precise about what EVERY button done. Anyways, the price on creating 95-100 of those example flywheels was $810 with shipping to my address. Now to get 95-100 UDPs made for that price.......everyone in the club could easily purchase one! If there's 100 of the UDPs made, and assuming they are about the same price as this example flywheel, that puts the cost of each of the UDPs @ about $8.10-$8.52 depending on how many are made. I'm sure we could place orders of an exact number. The program is really easy to use! It's a CAD program. I think this is doable if someone with the correct specs could design some. Heck, I'd try if someone gave me the specs!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ranger pulleys probably would work but this is cheaper in the long run. Someone could use the Ranger pulleys' specs to design ours from though. This is so insanely cheap I'm giggling inside! As far as which pulley(s) we want made...different story. Which pulley(s) would be the best to replace with a UDP anyways?
(Sorry for not knowing)

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, got the basics of the pulley figured out (specs aren't the correct ones but I've got the idea). Now I'm stuck on how I would get the thing to let me put the belt grooves in the outer part all the way around. Any help would be appreciated. I've tried the program help, but you know where that leads......."messed up gotta start over!"

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Are you sure the $810 wasn't for each indivdual flywheel??? I work in a machine shop, and I know for sure, you can't make a custom flywheel for $8.52 a piece. That wouldn't even cover the cost of material, not to mention the cost of labor. Labor could range between $60 to $125 per hour. Special fixtures would have to be made, due to the large thin disc shape of the flywheel, in order to machine these without getting chatter (vibration). Then the teeth would probably have to be cut on a wire EDM, or some kind of broach. We're looking at a lot of operations, which translates to a lot of money. Does that price include balancing by any chance?

At the last shop I worked at I helped make a similarly shaped object, but much larger in size. It was 12th stage scavenger turbine for a GE steam to electric generator, about 40 inches in diameter. All machining had to be done with high speed steel to avoid chatter on an engine lathe, which wasn't fun, considering it was made out of inconel (high temp stainless alloy). Sold the darn thing at just under $20,000. The sad thing is, the shop lost money on the part (that's what the owner said anyway). Couldn't even begin to guess how many hours were spent on it.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
would take a while....but design a kit to mount a superchager in the duratec....the whole shaft with 2 pulleys design...ect

1 - 11 of 11 Posts