Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I personally like the idea, since sometimes the regular head lights cause way to much glare in dense fog. Just don't run around town with only your fog lights on, it is illegal and dangerous as others can not judge your distance from them easily. Good luck with the switch!!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Dec 31 2003, 12:38 AM
I personally like the idea, since sometimes the regular head lights cause way to much glare in dense fog. Just don't run around town with only your fog lights on, it is illegal and dangerous as others can not judge your distance from them easily. Good luck with the switch!!!
Yeah, I thought it was kind of dumb that they won't turn on with the parking lights... There are times that I don't want or need the regular headlights on but would like to have the fogs in addition to the parking lights. I think with this switch you still can't ONLY run the fogs, so that's good for safety and to keep me legal.
I still haven't check out the wiring yet, so I'll see if it's a match.

So none of the Sable or SHO owners have looked into or done this??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tap off a parking light hot wire to your fog light relay, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Tap off a parking light hot wire to your fog light relay, and you should be fine.[/b]
Thats exactly what i did. This way i can have them on with just the parking lamps on and also they turn off when my lights turn off and make it so you dont have to worry about accidentaly leaving them on. My fogs can also dual as parking lamps so i have a switch in my car to go from the fogs to a blue parking lamp. They look good.

·
Registered
486 Posts
*looks to the Intrepid*

heh heh heh... there's my play-b****![/b]
thats funny right there, i dont care who ya are!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys! I never even thought about just wiring them tapping on the Parking lights!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did you happen to get this this to work out? I was curious because I tried to when I modified my 00 Sable switch to allow the fogs to work in autolamp mode. I was unable to get this to work because first of all I couldn't get find the fog relay. Secondly, from what I have figured out, the GEM (or whatever it is called these days) handles many of the electrical functions. And finally, I haven't found anyone with a G4 sable who has actually done this.

Also, that page on the SHO modification mentions that the foglight switch is an independent switch. On the G4 Sable it is integrated into the headlight switch.

Also, I tried to get wiring diagrams from late model F150's that use the same style of switch, but the wires are different. On the F150's there are two wires you can jump together at the switch that will energize the fog light relay when the parking lights are on. Then all you have to do is modify the headlamp/foglight switch to pull out into the Fog position in the parking light position.

But...this didn't work on the Sable either, the wires are different and have different voltages to them. On my sable the voltages ranged from zero to 12 with several wires at 5 volts. After mapping out all of the wires and the voltages at different switch positions I finally gave up. Nothing made sense at all.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I haven't even attempted it yet, lol. It will be one of those things I'll eventually get around to. I'll post my results after I do it though. Thanks for the additional info.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Go buy a $2 cube relay in the automotive lighting section.

Wire terminal 85 to the parking light hot wire

Wire terminal 86 to ground.

Wire terminal 30 to the under hood fuse box at the Mega fuse terminals. Be sure to include a fuse in line with this.

Wire terminal 87 to the fog lamp hot wire.

If you want to also have a switch to manually turn them off wire it in line with the wire going to terminal 85.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts