Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Ford Taurus DOHC. Great car that I got from my wifes grandfather. It was garage kept and he drove it to the store once week and thats it.

My Trans went out on me the other day and I needed to get towed home. It made a loud screeching noise and the RPMs shot up to over 3K. I turned my radio off and all I could hear was that unusual noise. I lost all power to my car as far as gears. MY car will not go into any gear now but it does work on park.

My question is, I changed my fluid and filter myself about 9-10 months ago with no problems that I recall. But I may have possibly added too much fluid ( maybe 1-2 quarts over). Would this cause the trans to go out of gear?
Is this something the TRS could cause as I am driving? ( I was going about 30 mph when this happened). I checked the cable and it looks ok. I see its attached to the transaxel and when my wife shifted the car, I saw it pull the lever, but there was no grip on it. Seems like something popped off.
Before I go out shelling out a ton of money, I wanted to ask everyone here if the TRS sensor going bad could cause this, or it tripped the Neutral Safety switch or something, while I was driving.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The TRS is just a pice of plastic that sits on the rotatig axle that controlls the transmission. It tells the PCM what position you have the gear lever - it won't make screeching mechanical noises, it would cut off the engine in the worse case. Or it would keep it in first gear. Or other electrical weird things (radio mutting, door locks not working...).
You didn't say the milage - on transmissions is more important than the year.

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
I have a 99 Ford Taurus DOHC. Great car that I got from my wifes grandfather. It was garage kept and he drove it to the store once week and thats it.

My Trans went out on me the other day and I needed to get towed home. It made a loud screeching noise and the RPMs shot up to over 3K. I turned my radio off and all I could hear was that unusual noise. I lost all power to my car as far as gears. MY car will not go into any gear now but it does work on park.

My question is, I changed my fluid and filter myself about 9-10 months ago with no problems that I recall. But I may have possibly added too much fluid ( maybe 1-2 quarts over). Would this cause the trans to go out of gear?
Is this something the TRS could cause as I am driving? ( I was going about 30 mph when this happened). I checked the cable and it looks ok. I see its attached to the transaxel and when my wife shifted the car, I saw it pull the lever, but there was no grip on it. Seems like something popped off.
Before I go out shelling out a ton of money, I wanted to ask everyone here if the TRS sensor going bad could cause this, or it tripped the Neutral Safety switch or something, while I was driving.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Too much fluid will ruin your tranny. It foams and gets air in the system, making it slip. Damage likely done. Warning on the dipstick.

-chart-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it has 82K on it total. To follow up, I was driving and it seems liked it went into Neutral and wont come out. ( No gears work). After days and days of researching, I have had very little luck, but a few different people said it could very well be the TRS since this Trans is electrical and could easily be the culprit since it sends a message to the Trans to change gears etc.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You have probally lost the pump shaft inside the tranny. There is a pump that creates the pressure to operate the tranny. When it breaks you only have park and lots of revs. I know, been there in the middle of now where with no where to go!! A tranny shop can read codes that are not accessible to you without the proper test equipment. My gut says the pump. Good luck, $3000 to replace.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Check your transmission fluid level with the engine off and take note of the fluid level on the dipstick. Next start the car and check the fluid level again. If the level did not go down (No fluid being moved) then the the pump shaft is the most likely culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so now my next Great question. If I pull this trans myself, do I need to actually remove the engine and trans as a whole? Or is there a way to remove it without really pulling the engine. I have heard yes and I have heard no. This is a 1999 DOHC 3.0L. Haynes has a nice little note saying on 1999 and above, you must remove both the engine and trans through the bottom of the car and not left to the home mechanic. I cant seem to get a solid answer

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I say no. There is a thread on this forum where some body from NY dropped the transaxle and subframe together. You'll have to mount a piece of metal across the engine bay to support the engine. The tread describes a similar process you are doing. I believe it had something to do with a bushing replacement on the AX4S transmission.

If you can hold the engine in place and drop the trans it appears you'll be on your way getting this repaired.

Monsoon

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I believe it is easier to drop the engine, transaxle and sub frame together, if your are DIYing it.
I am not even certain the transaxel can fit through the center subframe with it in place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've done this...

Hey there Scott, I was given an 03 Sable from my grandmother, it died on here too, had the same symptoms. I did not know for sure what was wrong with the transmission, so I replaced it. To drop the engine and transmission subframe out of the bottom we first unhooked everything we could before lifting it.

We then lifted the back up 3 blocks high, and the front 4 blocks high

(Before anyone gripes at me about blocks... my dad is a mason, I stacked the blocks in their structurally strongest position, and placed a 2x8 on top of the block between the blocks and the car. It was SAFE!)

we then used a total of 4 jacks and an engine hoist to get good support on it. I had the engine hoist in the top of the hood (don't have a 3 way engine support, but that probably would have worked too. The 4 jacks were below. I had two of the little 2.25 ton ones and 2 big 3 ton ones. These came in handy cause we could put one on each corner of the subframe and lower it inch by inch, corner by corner until it was low enough. We lowered it enough to get the transmission loose, and pulled it out the side, it took 3 of us to get it out, the AX4N was heavy, and its an awkward grip to get it out of the car under the wheel well.

You will have to loosen the bolts on your shocks, disconnect the sway bar and tie rods, and remove the knuckle. (All that is easier then it sounds if you have a decent impact wrench.)

Re-assembly was pretty much the same process in reverse. I pressed in new ball joints while I had the hub removed cause the boots on mine were gone. Altogether not too bad, the car runs great now, I have yet to crack open the side panel on my old transmission and pull the valve body to get to the pump, but I will as soon as I have time and see about getting a new pump and shaft in there.

In the next few weeks I'll be doing a similar job on my moms 01 Taurus. At 200k her head gasket has blown. I'm looking for a relatively low miles engine/transmission and going to replace them both.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll give as much advice as I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome information ulyyoung. I have a few questions for you then. When you disconnect the engine components on top, did you drain the coolant, trans fluid, AC Freon and everything else or were you able to lift the engine enough to remove the mounts and anything in the way and slowly lower it down Just Enough to be able to pull the trans out?
Did you pull it out of the side wheel well or from underneath the car completely. Did you leave the subframe attached to anything or was it freefloating and just holding the trans and engine and you slowly lowered the corners one at a time? I know the AX4N is about 200lbs. Which I think I can manage with a rigged trans jack or something similar that I can come up with. I have an impact and the struts, knuckle and everything should be no problem for the most part. I just never lifted an engine before or lowered one. How hard can it be? Im a quick learner LOL. I have a buddy of mine who will be able to rebuilt it for me as long as I can pull it out myself etc.... So there is hope haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts