Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is dying help me.
Recently I've been having problems(electrical)My left turn signal shuts the car off.My horn shuts the car off as well as the wipers and when the ABS kicks in it shuts off as well.I am now running with my flasher relay pulled along with the others.So I have no horn no signals no wipers,the no ABS I can deal with .The others I need desperately.Please if you have any ideas let me know as soon as possible.I am actually stuck in a small town in Ontario.No money and after tonight no where to stay.I need to get home so please help with any suggestions.I am open to anything right now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That sounds terrible - sorry you're going through that. Electrical gremlins are terrible enough when you're at home. Maybe try un-plugging the battery for awhile?

Worst case scenario - sell your car for a ride to the bus station, ticket and a hot meal?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope not the original owner.The problem started a while back when I had my gas tank changed I think.My alarm doesn't work either now.Sometimes the windows won't work either(today)

·
Registered
19 Posts
A faulty TPS would cause the car to shut off, but not cause all those other electrical issues you are describing.
If your problems started when you had to have your gas tank changed out, I would take it back to where you got it serviced and have them fix it. Get AAA. They are a lifesaver at times.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It also started actually shutting off this afternoon when I accelerate in reverse or drive along with all the other problems I've been having.If I keep my foot on the gas the car will restart and continue on it's merry way.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait ....is the transmission range sensor the same thing as VSS .I know my vss is going from what I've been told not the tps.Sorry for the confusion.Would a faulty vss cause some of these symptoms?

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Vss (vehicle speed sensor) would initially give you a slipping 1-2 shift and erratic shift points possibly along with speedo issues. OD off green light might also flash. Trs (aka neutral safety switch) can cause a myriad of elec. gremlins (spotty ps, radio, windows, etc., etc., etc.).

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Trs is underneath corrugated air hose atop trans. Not sure if thats your prob.? Do a search or check the topic finder features at the top of this page for a list of trs symptoms and threads.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Ground problem. Look for loose / disconnected / corroded grounds both under the hood and around the rear of the car where tank R&R may have broken a ground wire or a ground was not reconnected.

VSS and TRS are 2 completely different components. I am certain the TRS is not the problem.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ground problem. Look for loose / disconnected / corroded grounds both under the hood and around the rear of the car where tank R&R may have broken a ground wire or a ground was not reconnected.

VSS and TRS are 2 completely different components. I am certain the TRS is not the problem.
It's possible that when the guys did my tank they busted a ground.Can I just add another ground from the tank to the frame.There is a spot on the lip where I can nut and bolt a ground wire to it.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
I doubt a ground from tank to frame will do anything, as the tank doesnt have any grounds to anything in the first place. I wonder if a ground, like lighting ground of fuel pump ground was disconnected / broken when the tank was out. I dont remember for sure if there are any grounds up under the tank that cant be seen with the tank in the car, but I dont think so.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went out htis am and ran 2 new ground wires.One on each side of the engine bay to the battery.Then another 1 from the block to the frame.I now have a perfectly operational car.
Thanks every one for your help.It is very appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.