Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled my code reader out this evening and I received a code of P0455 A major evaporation leak. So I was wondering what I need to do for that. I will say I have gotten the dash warning before for a loose gas cap in the past and when I reseated the cap the warning sometimes went away. So as of now its not on but I thought I'd mention it. Not sure if that gas cap is OEM or what. Or if this is a issue with something else. Also is this ok to run the car with in the short term until I can get it fixed? So, if you could offer any advice or help that be much appreciated.

Also to add I have this ForScan tool that allows me to read any data on sensors as well a live data so if that would help I can use that.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
So I pulled my code reader out this evening and I received a code of P0455 A major evaporation leak. So I was wondering what I need to do for that. I will say I have gotten the dash warning before for a loose gas cap in the past and when I reseated the cap the warning sometimes went away. So as of now its not on but I thought I'd mention it. Not sure if that gas cap is OEM or what. Or if this is a issue with something else. Also is this ok to run the car with in the short term until I can get it fixed? So, if you could offer any advice or help that be much appreciated.

Also to add I have this ForScan tool that allows me to read any data on sensors as well a live data so if that would help I can use that.
My daughter came by and said the light is on. It was the P0455. Gas cap was not on all the way. Tightened it and cleared the code and all was OK. She blamed that on her male friend. He gassed it last time.
-chart-

·
Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
41 Posts
It's not a drivability issue, it's a secondary emissions thing. You're fine to go on driving it unless you need inspection for tabs.

Eric O at South Main Auto on youtube has some great videos on running down evap codes.

·
Super Moderator
8,806 Posts
Had the gas cap fail internally 8 or so years ago on the wifes old 04 Tec. P0455 code. There is a one way spring loaded valve inside the gas cap that allows air into the tank when temperatures drop but blocks fuel vapors from escaping with pressure in the tank. Some quick tests showed air flow thru gas cap both directions. New Motorcraft gas cap fixed the problem.

Reactions: kekaye56
1 - 4 of 4 Posts