Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling the UIM off my 03 Duratec this weekend. I'm trying to make a list of all the things I should be doing while it's off. I'm ordering the parts today so I have them for the weekend.

So far I have:

PCV and all related hoses/elbows.
Autolite #APP104 plugs

About to order:

Motorcraft plug wires #WR-6033 (Do I need these, are they known to fail?)

A little back story on the car. 03 Sable with 89k. Has and idle problem I think is related to a vacuum leak. Throwing code P1506. I've replace the TPS & IAC and still have an issue. When pulling the IAC plug off while running there's no drop at all in RPM's.

So, what else should I be doing while in there?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
Look at changing the UIM and LIM gaskets while you're in there. There are good tutorials on here for that.

Also, you might not want to go with the Autolite plugs, but that's just me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at changing the UIM and LIM gaskets while you're in there. There are good tutorials on here for that.

Also, you might not want to go with the Autolite plugs, but that's just me.
I found Motorcraft plugs but only the single platinum. Do you know the part number for the doubles?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
SP 432's, about $4.30 each from Amazon.
The SP-432 is a single platinum plug. Motorcraft doesn't make a double platinum plug for the Duratec anymore. Being a fine-wire design, the SP-432 eliminates a lot of the need for a platinum ground strap. The issue was that the rear plugs fire in reverse and would wear down the ground straps on the older single platinum plugs. The fine wire design does not erode the ground strap near as quickly, even when reverse firing. I wouldn't hesitate to put them in and not worry about them for 100k.

Whether you use the Motorcrafts or the Autolites, just make sure you use plenty of dielectric grease on the boots.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
The SP-432 is a single platinum plug. Motorcraft doesn't make a double platinum plug for the Duratec anymore. Being a fine-wire design, the SP-432 eliminates a lot of the need for a platinum ground strap. The issue was that the rear plugs fire in reverse and would wear down the ground straps on the older single platinum plugs. The fine wire design does not erode the ground strap near as quickly, even when reverse firing. I wouldn't hesitate to put them in and not worry about them for 100k.

Whether you use the Motorcrafts or the Autolites, just make sure you use plenty of dielectric grease on the boots.
I knew it wasn't DP but it was what we were supposed to use these days. It's what I just put in mine last month.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I'm ordering from advanced auto parts. If you order online and use code TRT30 you get 30% off. The plugs end up being $3.41 each, not bad.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Yea, but there's conflicting info on their quality. Mortorcraft is the safe play. For me anyway.
I hear you. I'm pretty much to the point on plugs where I always buy local. I can inspect them all at the point of sale, and ask for replacements if some aren't visually to my liking.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I used Autolite double platinums my Freestar. Almost 50K miles without any issues.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no doubts there are many out there with those plugs and have no issues. However, if I can get factory plugs that have no negative history for the same price???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts