Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing to do some maint on my wife's 2000 Taurus. It has the 12 valve Vulcan and has about 66k miles.

I had the tranny flushed with about 40k miles, but they didnt replace filter. Plan on doing that.

Questions:
1) Should I go ahead and replace plug wires now or wait?
2) How hard is it to change the plugs? Did a search and always came back no matches.

3) How hard is it to replace fuel filter?

Car now has a little "lope" in idle some times. Acts as though it may die, but when you give it gas it quits. Very intermittent. No CE codes.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
I would go ahead and change the plugs and wires (Motorcraft only on these), along with the fuel filter, air filter, and clean the PCV valve. It also may be a good time for a cooling system flush if you haven't already done that.

The plugs on a Vulcan are easy to replace, nothing needs to be removed to access them. The wires are a little trickier because of the loom and bracket, but again easy to do.

The fuel filter is located in the rear of the car, on the passengers side I believe (Gen 3 is, I'm assuming Gen 4 is the same). Relieve the fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump fuse and running the car until it stalls, remove the plastic retainers, and slide the hoses off. Remove the filter from the bracket, insert the new one, and put everything back together.

I would guess the slight lope is either worn or dirty plugs, aging wires, or just plain old carbon gunking things up in the valvetrain.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Had a question regading that fuel pump shutoff switch in the trunk.?
Its says "pull" i think.

OK so I oull and it cuts outs the pump, then how do I get it back on. The instructions there say nothing on how to get it back online...

so it scares me to pull it...

besides when the guy in one shop changed the f.filter, he did not do anything to the fuel pump... He just fiddled with the ignition key inside.. and came out..
dunno what he did?
he charged me a whopping 35 bucks for changing it...

I now realize how simple a job it is..

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Firescooby@Jan 19 2004, 08:43 PM
Fixing to do some maint on my wife's 2000 Taurus. It has the 12 valve Vulcan and has about 66k miles.

I had the tranny flushed with about 40k miles, but they didnt replace filter. Plan on doing that.

Questions:
1) Should I go ahead and replace plug wires now or wait?
2) How hard is it to change the plugs? Did a search and always came back no matches.

3) How hard is it to replace fuel filter?

Car now has a little "lope" in idle some times. Acts as though it may die, but when you give it gas it quits. Very intermittent. No CE codes.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
To turn the pump back on, just push it down to the position it was originally in.

And youre all set.

-DC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts