Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 167,000 miles on my 2006 Taurus SE. I have luckily not been hit with any overwhelming maintenance expenses and want to keep it that way. I just flushed the transmission/replaced the filter and will be purchasing new tires.

What oil is the best to start using at this mileage? I was looking at some oil called royal purple along with their oil filter. Is it overkill?

Im at a point where spark plugs/new belts might not be a bad idea, any recommendations on spark plugs?

I have had no maintenance done on my power steering at all. What should be done to it at this point?

Shocks/struts are still factory. Should I go ahead and replace them?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Royal Purple is the overkilliest of overkill IMO. Just keep using a quality oil and change it regularly.

If the plugs and wires are original, replace them with Autolite or Motorcraft.

I would put the car on a lift and do a basic suspension evaluation before putting new tires on. Odds are you'll need a tie rod or ball joint. Pay for an alignment after all the work is done and your tires will wear better. Don't replace springs and struts unless camber is too far out or the car sags too much (can be measured from the top of the tire to the fender well). Look for broken springs at the coil ends, that tends to be a problem in the rust belt.

Change your steering fluid if it's never been done. The noise will quiet down and your seals and rack will last longer.

If it's a Vulcan engine flush the coolant every 2 years.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I did the shocks & struts in my wagon at 140k while having to do a front wheel bearing. Also did ball joints as it was apart.
A noticable difference in the ride with new struts/shocks, was like getting a new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..more help needed

Going to flush the coolant and steering fluid asap. It is way overdue. I will also check the suspension out. It may be fine. I generally only drive interstate miles. I will also get new spark plugs too. I know i felt it miss a little during idle but nothing too noticeable. Thanks for the input. One more thing that I forgot to mention. Gas Mileage. I am having sub par gas mileage. Im around 22mpg-23mpg right now. I know its probably time for a new fuel filter (replaced 1yr ago). Can shot spark plugs eat gas up? I was hoping to get my fuel economy up to 26mpg at least. Any ideas or is that the best mileage I can be getting?:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts