Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it's nice to read and be a part of the T.C.C.A. club. I am a proud new owner of a 1998 SHO with a little over 49,000 miles on the car. The car is in MINT condition inside and out. It has leather and is loaded. Most defanatly the nicest car I have ever owned.
My question to your board members; What is the most important thing that I can do to my ride at this point? I know that this sounds like a stupid question but this board is so huge and has so much information, I honestly don't know where to start. I've had the car for less than a week and only put 67 miles on it. Someone said that the cams need to be welded or pinned, is this true?
Also, what gen. is my car? That would be very helpfull when I read these posts.
I noticed that the car doesn't have very good pickup at takeoff. Is this natural for this car? I takes awhile before it puts me back in my seat. Common?
Thanks for takeing the time to read this and if this is in the wrong forum I apologize.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome.

Originally posted by Mr.Yuck+Oct 11 2004, 11:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr.Yuck @ Oct 11 2004, 11:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Someone said that the cams need to be welded or pinned, is this true?[/b]

Yes, definately get this done. You can go to www.v8sho.com to get lots of information about that.

Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2004, 11:54 PM
Also, what gen. is my car? That would be very helpfull when I read these posts.
It's a gen 3.

<!--QuoteBegin-Mr.Yuck
@Oct 11 2004, 11:54 PM
I noticed that the car doesn't have very good pickup at takeoff. Is this natural for this car? I takes awhile before it puts me back in my seat. Common?[/quote]
It should have very good pickup. Mine is the older V6 and it puts me back in my seat almost immediately. Perhaps it needs a tuneup? Maybe some of the v8 guys (or gals) can help you out here.

B

·
0 Posts
Weld the cams first, then we'll cover the rest of the stuff. There's a list on V8 SHO that will tell you of all known places to weld your cams. Depending on the area you're in, I can make some recommendations as well. Let me know where you're located, and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by Mr.Yuck@Oct 11 2004, 11:54 PM
I noticed that the car doesn't have very good pickup at takeoff. Is this natural for this car? I takes awhile before it puts me back in my seat. Common?
That's normal. The low end torque sucks. A friggin Grand Am will beat you across most intersections. The torque peak is at 4800 rpm and the hp peaks at 6100 rpm. Unfortunately you can't launch at 4800 rpm and take advantage of it. If you ever floor it from about 50mph you'll feel the torque. Try doing that with a Grand Am.

And one last thing... weld it or lose it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I'm going to get it welded as soon as I can. I think there is a place by Detroit that does it. These Yamaha motors, do you suppose that these are the same ones used in power boat raceing :banana: ? You guys ROCK! Thanks for the help :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The point has already been driven home, but I'll repeat GET YER CAMS WELDED ASAP. It's too nice of a car to lose to cam failure when you already know how to prevent it.

Low-end torque is somewhat lacking - HOWEVER - if you just absolutely stomp on it, you can get a bit of tire noise. I've done that a couple of times even with my uber-sticky GeForce KDW's on. Drop the hammer at 20mph and you will get wheel spin.

Otherwise, just enjoy every chance you get to go past 35Mph and feel those secondaries open :D

And, welcome to the club :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to get the cams welded early next week. If the sprocket on the cam spins, is it a gradual process or does it just all happen all of a sudden? If it spins just a little bit can it be put back or does the whole cam need to be replaced?

For now, until I get it welded I'm just going to baby it around. It's all I can do. Thanks everyone, you may have just saved another SHO!!

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Sometimes you have a bit of a warning, but for most people the cam failure was an "all-of-a-sudden" thing - no warning, it just went. If the cam sprocket comes loose, chances are that your engine will be a total loss.

Keep your fingers crossed that you don't become reallllly unlucky in the next few days :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts