Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of these. Are they any good? Are they hard to install?

Does anyone have one installed and has pictures of it installed?

Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pic. Looks easy with the front end off the car............... :)

So is yours on the cooler intake or return line?

**Also I understand how a oil filter magnet can work on the engine as it can collect the iron particles. But what metal particles is the Magnefine catching with it's magnet? Is most or all of the transmission aluminum or other non ferrous metals?

Is there a filter that you replace or do you replace the whole unit?

What interval do you use?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I dont remember which hose the filter is on. I think it's on the return line. The filter is replaced as a unit. It was easy to install at the same time of the cooler installation, but it can be installed by just removing the air dam across the bottom of the bumper cover. The Magnefine catches the particles the trans pan magnet does not. I replace it at the same time I replace the trans filter, every 30k miles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The local Ford Dealership installs the Magnefine filter.

I haven't used them on my trannies yet, but have installed them on my 99 Ranger & 94 Taurus power steering systems return lines & the instalation was easy.

Just section the tranny return line after the cooler, by the length of the ribbed portion of the Magnefine filter & it'll fit in fine. It comes with two screw type clamps.

The Magnefine filter is a one piece throw away deal.
Their web site recommends a one year life on a tranny, but if your tranny is clean inside & doesn't make much clutch debris, I'd imagine you could get more life than that.

The filter does have a internal by-pass valve, just in case it cloggs up, so it won't starve the tranny for fluid, or explode from pressure!!!!

Here is a link to their web site with a cutaway view of the Magnefine filters innards.
http://www.magnefine.com/html/filtration.html

If you decide to install one, let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Thanks for the pic. Looks easy with the front end off the car............... :)

So is yours on the cooler intake or return line?

**Also I understand how a oil filter magnet can work on the engine as it can collect the iron particles. But what metal particles is the Magnefine catching with it's magnet? Is most or all of the transmission aluminum or other non ferrous metals?

Is there a filter that you replace or do you replace the whole unit?

What interval do you use?
[/b]

I prefer to use a spin on filter on my transmissions then I have a Filtermag on the filter.

Mike
:thumb:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
??..........Got a picture of that set up?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If you can find room up front, you could do a tranny return line remote oil filter mount, from Summt Racing for about $13, that'll take a FL-1A filter, which would add about 1 qt to the tranny fluid capacity & a filter like the FL-1A would do a mighty good job of keeping the tranny fluid filtered.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.as...+115+4294851620

My problem on both of my vehicles is in not having enough under hood space up front, for a tranny return line remote filter mount, without having a lot of extra line length to hook it up, so for us with real tight space problems, thats where the inline Magnefine filter shines.
But for filtering capacity, a remote filter, if you could physically fit it in, seems to me would be better, as it'll increase system fluid capacity & filtering quality .

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is some set up! It always amazes me what people come up with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts