Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone in here is actually bought this yet? id like to know what the sound difference is over stock or if its mainly just a replacement, im looking to redo my y pipe with tax returns.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Bought one for my gen 3 right before I sold it to my friends mom and last I checked it's still doing it's job...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, running the duals will tend to make a deeper rumble. Just so you know, I don't currently use Magnaflows, you can get WickedFlows, which are not only cheaper, and smoother sounding (they make the car sound European, kinda like a Borla does), but are also better made.

That way you can make your return go farther and get the best sound possible.

Just a heads up though, running the duals with 2.25" mufflers may make the car drone.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah, running the duals will tend to make a deeper rumble. Just so you know, I don't currently use Magnaflows, you can get WickedFlows, which are not only cheaper, and smoother sounding (they make the car sound European, kinda like a Borla does), but are also better made.

That way you can make your return go farther and get the best sound possible.

Just a heads up though, running the duals with 2.25" mufflers may make the car drone.
I'm pretty sure he means the cat y-pipe from SHOsource.

I'm curious to know what kind of performance gain to expect from them, though.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The y-pipe from SHOsource? Ok, I though you were talking about the y-pipe for dual exhaust. Performance wise, those are great BUT. By themselves, they will do little. Why? Because exhaust is a system. And a big part of that system, and part of why the Vulcan really produces little power for its displacement (I'm assuming you have a Vulcan, correct me if I'm wrong) is because the heads are actually quite restrictive, and the engine just can't move enough air. To fix this, you need to port the heads, intake, and manifolds (or switch to headers). You do that, then the y-pipe will be another step to produce more power.

The y-pipe by itself will pick up some rumble however, especially if you already have a performance muffler.

Myself, I am running actual high performance cats, but I also have the Duratec engine, which responds well to that kind of upgrade. My y-pipe however does have cats, so it is smog legal.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im going to have the heads ported this summer, and yes im talking about the sho source magnaflow high flow y pipe for a gen 4 vulcan, gen 3 really doesnt apply and if i wanted a muffler for smoothness id just go name brand and get a magnaflow, but i dont want to go through the trouble of duals with the evap crap there.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
A Magnaflow brand ordinary non-high flow y-pipe assembly. If it doesn't use high flow catalyst, its not high flow. Also that part is only for Gen3.

They claim 40% more flow than stock. I'm gonna call their bluff on that. They are using 400 CPI ceramic substrate, made by Dupont, the exact same stuff Ford is using. Does Magnaflow think I'm stupid? If it is the same stuff, its gonna get the same airflow through it. As for the "crushed" portions of the pipe, yes they are flatter parts, but they are also wider. The cross sectional area is the same. I'm not saying that the Ford design was the best, not by a long shot, but this area is not the primary restriction point. The greatest restriction point is the catalyst itself.

So to answer your original question, no, it won't fit your car, and no, it will not increase your performance or sound even if it did.

Truth be told, the Gen4 is going to be very difficult to develop a better flowing y-pipe due to space limitations. Just so we are on the same page, your cat looks like this.
Item Details

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Ok, yes, I missed that, I only saw the picture at the top which was showing the older design. They do not show an actual picture of the Magnaflow part, but I did find one elsewhere. If you look at the Magnaflow brand part, it is downright appalling.

This is what Magnaflows Gen4 part looks like. Notice how the rear cat (the round one) is small and look at the shape of the whole thing. First off, in the confines of the original design, there is not much you can do in the way of performance. Not only is Magnaflow using the same 400 cpi catalyst, by opting to use a round catalyst, they are actually making it smaller than the stock one and also smaller than the one in the link I posted above. That is bad for airflow, sound, and overall performance. Just so you can visually compare, here is the image from the above link.

My recommendation, leave the stock one in place. You could however get more sound by getting rid of the third cat, which is not monitored by the OBD-II system and will not trigger a CEL.

It turns out there is a high performance cat for the Gen 4 Vulcan, please see this page.
http://www.bearriverconverters.com/...tegoryPK=790a57a4-62ff-4ffb-85e7-860e072caa4e

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i can honestly saw ive never looked at my vulcans y pipe, im gunna have to get under there in the spring and check things out, im probably just going to put out another cat or two and use a larger resonator.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ok, yes, I missed that, I only saw the picture at the top which was showing the older design. They do not show an actual picture of the Magnaflow part, but I did find one elsewhere. If you look at the Magnaflow brand part, it is downright appalling.

This is what Magnaflows Gen4 part looks like. Notice how the rear cat (the round one) is small and look at the shape of the whole thing. First off, in the confines of the original design, there is not much you can do in the way of performance. Not only is Magnaflow using the same 400 cpi catalyst, by opting to use a round catalyst, they are actually making it smaller than the stock one and also smaller than the one in the link I posted above. That is bad for airflow, sound, and overall performance. Just so you can visually compare, here is the image from the above link.

My recommendation, leave the stock one in place. You could however get more sound by getting rid of the third cat, which is not monitored by the OBD-II system and will not trigger a CEL.

It turns out there is a high performance cat for the Gen 4 Vulcan, please see this page.
Item Details
Based on the $600 price difference between the SHOsource y-pipe and the Magnaflow direct-fit cat replacement on their site, I'd hazard a guess to say they're different. Plus, on Magnaflow's website, they don't specify anywhere that their direct-fit model is high-flow. Not to argue your point that their high-flow models are a gimmick, but it wasn't advertised as a performance upgrade. And based on how gorgeous the other y-pipes are on SHOsource, I think our G4 vulcan pipe would be a touch better than what you've posted.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Ok, if you pull the stock one aprat, it uses a stamped y-connection that improves flow and reduces turbulence. The Magnaflow design lacks this detail, they just joint two pipes together. Because of the way the pipe joins, this creates backpressure on one bank. Without the special stamped piece, the Maynaflow y-pipe is inferior to the stock one.

On the Bank#1 cat being smaller, here are the actual numbers. The stock cat and the one I posted above use a 3" x 5" oval substrate, which has a cross sectional area of 17.99 square inches with a 400 cpi ceramic substrate. The Magnaflow with its round body is just 4" round diameter also 400 cpi ceramic gives you a cross sectional area of 12.56". That means the OEM and the Bear River converter flow 30% better on the #1 bank than the smaller Magnaflow unit.

The Bear River high performance unit flows 50% better than the regular unit with its 200 cpi metallic substrate. It otherwise has the same cross section as the regular units, its the lower cell density that makes the difference.

On the price difference, the part numbers on SHO source and the Magnaflow website are the same. Magnaflow does not make a separate high performance line, all their direct fits are ordinary 400 cpi ceramic. In fact a simple fact that proves that the Magnaflow is in fact the normal part is the fact that one converter is an oval body. Magnaflow does not make high flow oval bodies, only round. The price shown on the Magnaflow site is the suggested installed price, i.e. the price of their converter assembly installed on a vehicle. You cannot buy directly from Magnaflow unless you are a distributor, and Magnaflow is not about to post prices that would undercut their distributors, who are free to sell stuff at whatever price they wish.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ok, if you pull the stock one aprat, it uses a stamped y-connection that improves flow and reduces turbulence. The Magnaflow design lacks this detail, they just joint two pipes together. Because of the way the pipe joins, this creates backpressure on one bank. Without the special stamped piece, the Maynaflow y-pipe is inferior to the stock one.

On the Bank#1 cat being smaller, here are the actual numbers. The stock cat and the one I posted above use a 3" x 5" oval substrate, which has a cross sectional area of 17.99 square inches with a 400 cpi ceramic substrate. The Magnaflow with its round body is just 4" round diameter also 400 cpi ceramic gives you a cross sectional area of 12.56". That means the OEM and the Bear River converter flow 30% better on the #1 bank than the smaller Magnaflow unit.

The Bear River high performance unit flows 50% better than the regular unit with its 200 cpi metallic substrate. It otherwise has the same cross section as the regular units, its the lower cell density that makes the difference.

On the price difference, the part numbers on SHO source and the Magnaflow website are the same. Magnaflow does not make a separate high performance line, all their direct fits are ordinary 400 cpi ceramic. In fact a simple fact that proves that the Magnaflow is in fact the normal part is the fact that one converter is an oval body. Magnaflow does not make high flow oval bodies, only round. The price shown on the Magnaflow site is the suggested installed price, i.e. the price of their converter assembly installed on a vehicle. You cannot buy directly from Magnaflow unless you are a distributor, and Magnaflow is not about to post prices that would undercut their distributors, who are free to sell stuff at whatever price they wish.
That makes me a sad panda.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Sorry, wasn't trying to be the bearer of bad news, I'm just telling it like it is. I personally think the Gen4 design on the y-pipe is just plain stupid. They built it that way so they could cram a third cat in. Truth be told though, they could have replaced the resonator with a third cat, and it would have had about the same effect. If you eliminate the third cat, you can modify the y-pipe portion behind the cats to make a smoother transition together a little further back, and that can help you get better performance. That will also give you better sound. This would probably need to be done by a shop, not sure what that would cost. They would also need to add a new flex pipe to replace the one that is part of the third cat assembly.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this is what i am having done, ffvulcanpowah had a equal length catless y pipe mad to get that g35 like sound, thats what im going for, i think i will leave the precats because my 3rd is gone and i dont want to stink up too bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.