Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it sound like I am happy it finally did, and to a point I guess I am. This Y-pipe is the first AXOD created for our cars. Why? When I purchased mine they were not available for AXOD (AX4S) transmission. I got it modified to fit my car. It has been chopped and put together numerous times. I enjoyed having this mod because it makes a big difference in response and power, at least in my car. I have been having issues lately with noises and rattles coming from the pipe for a few months now. Car was slowly losing power, sort of as if it had a difficult time breathing. Openned the pipe and there they were; pieces of the catalytic converter stuck between the y-pipe and the flex pipe. BTW no codes ever. Figure that.

In the mean time, I will be replacing it with the original pipe. I will be ordering a new AXOD pipe sometime soon.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
While its hard to say why your unit failed, Magnaflows quality on their converters has been very poor for a long time. The packing around the catalyst is one of the areas where they cut corners. That packing can degrade over time and once it degrades enough, it can no longer protect the substrate, and the substrate will begin bouncing around and rattling loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts