Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys new here names eric and all that jazz. I have heard rumors of people installing larger MAFs without problems or reprogramming. hearing and believeing are two diff things, so id like anyone with more knowledge on the MAF subject to post what you know. whats required to install bigger MAF without reprogramming? i ask this because i was given a batch of spare parts that included a 3.8 MAF with housing as well as injectors, throttle body and various other parts, i build my own intakes and port my own heads and fab my exhausts from headers back. so getting the engine to flow wont be an issue, now before i get bashed, i grew up old school and learned to fab what ever i needed electronics and programming arent included in that unlesss were talking about mopar or gm. my 96 sable gs 3.0 is my second ford. and im sure others will benifit from a lot of MAF info being placed in one spot.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i know you have to swap it out when you add a bigger resevoir box and go with a twin tb set up. not sure on not reprograming on the bull engines ive done dodges my whole life till i got the 07 taurus,

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
There is no MAF that will directly bolt in. We did use to sell them but our vendor up and left. We are working with a new vendor and should have something soon.

If you want a large MAF you would need to get a SCT tuner to run it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is no MAF that will directly bolt in. We did use to sell them but our vendor up and left. We are working with a new vendor and should have something soon.

If you want a large MAF you would need to get a SCT tuner to run it.
what a SCT tuner? sorry if its a dumb question but i just woke up and my brain dont kick in for a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so maybe im ford dumb..... but if the MAF is calibrated to a particular injector size it stands to reason that swapping the MAF and the included injectors it should work in theory.
smaller engine = less air
less air = less fuel
that part is correct and undeniable
larger maf senses less air = injectors dump less fuel
correct
stock injectors inject less fuel for X amount of air due to larger MAF lean burn BAD
correct
larger injectors inject too much fuel for X amount of air being metered through stock MAF
correct
larger MAF reads less air + larger injectors injecting too much for a given MAF signal should come to about the right volum of fuel for a given volume of air...
that seems to make sense to me, and forgive me if its not worded really understandably im about four hours shy of having 3 hours of sleep.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
That's why you need to reprogram the PCM.
Larger MAF - senses less air, smaller signal - reprogram the PCM to increase the actual calculated air flow value back to what it should be.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I ran a 'tec MAF with 24# injectors without a tune for a few months. It ran a bit rich, but it was manageable. The 'tec I took the MAF from had 24# stock, IIRC. So, in theory, yes if you use the same injectors as the MAF, you might be ok, but getting a tune is better.

And for the G2 crowd, there's always megasquirt.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Paul (shoz123) is no longer a dealer in custom programs for the SCT. I'm not sure if it extends to the tuner it's self.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as far as tuning has anyone here ever used twEECer? www.tweecer.com
i looked at the list of supported vehicles and theres lots of 96 up stuff listed as far the 95 and older crowd if you swap in the mustang EEC it may be what you want...... dunno though and you are correct the larger MAF will sense less air but thats where the larger injectors come in. the excess fuel flow should compensate. i think that was stated earlier by the guy who did a MAF swap with no tune said it ran a bit rich, but there are ways of leaning a mix without programming... adjustable FPR maybe?
i cheated my MOPARs programming by tweekin the fuel pressure..... got my 3.3l trep to run 13.5 1/4 times. after a visit from jenny craig of course.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You can't swap a Mustang ECU in, different engine and transmission.

The MAF's are not tuned for an injector. They are tuned to read the mass of air for a given diameter. You need to tell the ECU what the injectors are.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
uh huh. lol. in collins mississippi there is a 95 sable with a 3.8 the car is running 1.73:1 rollers thumper cam port job and larger MAF with my old eaton gen 3 supercharger off my gran prix gtp (post crash of course). the owner is a guy named tarrence. he introduced me to twEECer.
oh his computer is from a 97 mustang 3.8 automatic.
he also has a 74 ford F-100 with a 73 400M powered by 1997 dodge 5.9l fuel injection system. also got DIS on that motor.
that CRAP about this computer wont run that because its a different engine... well theyre all internal combustion, they all do the same thing the same way with the same end result. as far as electronics go if the ECU gets the right information at the right time it will run anything. look back through your muscle mustangs and fast fords magazine, theres a guy in one of the 07 issues running an aston martin V12 in an 06 or 07 stang engine controll is TWO injection systems from ford 4.9s any way im gettin a bit long winded here so ill end it short. you can make anything operate anything if youre willing to do the research and pour on the elbow grease. gotta say though the dodgeintrepid.net guys seem a bit braver when it comes to experimental mods.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
uh huh. lol. in collins mississippi there is a 95 sable with a 3.8 the car is running 1.73:1 rollers thumper cam port job and larger MAF with my old eaton gen 3 supercharger off my gran prix gtp (post crash of course). the owner is a guy named tarrence. he introduced me to twEECer.
oh his computer is from a 97 mustang 3.8 automatic.
Then have him post.

he also has a 74 ford F-100 with a 73 400M powered by 1997 dodge 5.9l fuel injection system. also got DIS on that motor.
that CRAP about this computer wont run that because its a different engine... well theyre all internal combustion, they all do the same thing the same way with the same end result. as far as electronics go if the ECU gets the right information at the right time it will run anything. look back through your muscle mustangs and fast fords magazine, theres a guy in one of the 07 issues running an aston martin V12 in an 06 or 07 stang engine controll is TWO injection systems from ford 4.9s any way im gettin a bit long winded here so ill end it short. you can make anything operate anything if youre willing to do the research and pour on the elbow grease. gotta say though the dodgeintrepid.net guys seem a bit braver when it comes to experimental mods.
They all may just be a combustion motor but the CPU is expecting certain information from different sensors. Sure you could make a different CPU to work but you would have to tell the CPU what every sensor is. It would be a lot of work and only worth it if needed for a big project.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now loudsho92 were starting to see eye to eye. for the ford we used the mopar sensors along with the cam and crank triggers. its more than worth the work if you have the gonads to do it. we did reflash the mopar computer though... changed the program for the cam and increas in displacement. runs like a mad man. but since were dealing with a ford to ford swap it shouldnt be anywhere near that technical.
S2KNOT theres a Tshirt at wal mart that has pics of jackasses and lists the five kinds of ass. youre three out of five for that ferarri remark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
loudsho i like your level headed approach to the matter too. you think outside the box much? if not ill bet youd be great at it. which brings up a good question, i portedmy MAF now its running a tad rich..... that seems a bit bass ackwards to me. what could the issue be? my ECM and i are suffering a failure to communicate.
i speak mopar a bit more fluently than ford

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would put money on it that the v6 stang ECM would run a Taurus 3.8. Getting one from a manual or older one with AOD would work great with a non-electronically controlled transmission (AXOD?). You would need to check some of the pinouts, but I would bet they are 98% identical and if they arent, the pins can be moved to the appropriate cavities.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
ill put money on it that it wont.

unless the whole tranmission input can be altered. im not to familiar with tuning but usually you would never do something like this. (unless you drive a taurus which there isnt a aftermarket for)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts