Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I posted a message a few weeks ago about how my 94 Sable was idling like crap. Today I got a chance to look it over real good and I discovered that it runs fine with the MAF sensor disconected. With the MAF connected, the idle jumps around and feels like it's going to stall after a few seconds, it eventually does, I'm lucky if it will idle for 45 seconds with it connected. With the MAF disconnected, it will idle fine, I had it idling for 10+ minutes absolutely fine, silky smooth, it even drives fine.

So is it safe to assume that my MAF is bad? I had no check engine light until I pulled the connector off.

seperate question relating to MAF
Why does the car run almost normal with the MAF disconnected? I mean the engine idles silky smooth, with no hiccups whatsoever. plenty of power, and I can drive it down the road fine, only thing I noticed is that I can stall it by tapping the throttle really fast while stopped in gear. I know what the sensor does, but what's the purpose if the car runs fine with it disconnected. My Volvo barely runs with it disconnected.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Is your sensor clean? It may be dirty from dust etc. Happened to me once. ALso i do not recommend disconnecting the sensor while the car is in use. May mess up your fuel calculations and your car's computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts