Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year did Ford stop using the MAF? Rockauto still shows one for my 2017 but I do not have one.

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
Are you sure you dont have an MAF? Only 3 methods of determining correct injector pulse width for optimum MPG and emissions:

1) Alpha N - no one has ever used this on a production car. This dates back to the very early days of electronic engine controls and basically controls fuel by throttle position and coolant temp only. Some PCMs will revert to Alpha N if other major sensors fail, and of course the CEL will be on if PCM reverts to Alpha N mode.

2) Speed Density (SD) - Common in the early days of EFI, but not any where near as accurate as MAF systems. PCM uses intake manifold absolute pressure (MAP) along with throttle position, coolant temp, etc to calculate the amount of air entering the engine via a differential version of the Ideal Gas Law.

3) MAF - Most accurate way to achieve good MPG and emissions. Every manufacturer still uses MAF. Note that MAF sensors have become very compact compared to the early days of MAF systems.

Of course, both MAF and SD systems use O2 sensors for feedback control of the air-fuel ratio.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I believe I have a MAP system. There is NO sensor prior to throttle body, but there is a sensor just aft of the throttle body that I assume is a MAP sensor due to its location on the intake manifold. I was looking on my code reader to check grams per minute of air intake and there was no reading, only a map reading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts