Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am interested in purchasing this red 93 SHO automatic. i went to go look at it and when trying to start it it would crank over but only putter and etc as long as the starter was engaged. but eventually it started but ran like crap. and would only stay running if the gas pedal was pressed. could the MAF sensor be shot? or could the IAC be shot? or could it just be that these parts just need to be cleaned, the check engine light never came on.and the car has been sitting for 2yrs. so i would guess that has a little to do with it too. i want to know what you all think could be the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The car should start and run with the MAF unplugged. Not start or run well but better than you describe.

The IAC on the other hand is what is responsible for adding the air when the throttle is closed. If you have to hold the pedal down then the IAC is not doing it's job.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
So 2 threads for the same thing?

I would maybe go for an 94 or 95 ATX if you are into the ATX as the 93 is the weakest of them all.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i am interested in purchasing this red 93 SHO automatic. i went to go look at it and when trying to start it it would crank over but only putter and etc as long as the starter was engaged. but eventually it started but ran like crap. and would only stay running if the gas pedal was pressed. could the MAF sensor be shot? or could the IAC be shot? or could it just be that these parts just need to be cleaned, the check engine light never came on.and the car has been sitting for 2yrs. so i would guess that has a little to do with it too. i want to know what you all think could be the problem.
Probably becouse it's been sitting for 2 years, the gas has turned to varnish. A car that's been sitting that long is going to need a deal of work done to make it road worthy. Unless they're asking a dirt cheap price for it, I wouldn't buy it. It's going to be a project car, as seals have dried up, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts