Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove back to MS on Sunday night, the car did great and got 26 avg MPG (running around 80 MPH most of the way).

There was this CRV from Florida that kept passing a group of cars, then slowing down and letting everyone pass him back, only to angrily weave through traffic at insane speeds to pass them again. I never took my car off its cruise control but I estmate that I (and the other cars I seem to be running with) passed and were passed by this idiot over a dozen times. Each time, he'd change lanes very abrubtly without signalling and even passed on the shoulder once.

Well, I finnly had enough so I stopped at a gas station. The guy turned around in the meidan and followed me to the gas station. I filled up and went inside, I told the clerk I was concerned because the guy in that CRV was following me. She said she had the security cameras on so if he did anything to my car in the parking lot, she'd have video tape of it. I thanked her and went into the bathroom. I heard some loud voices outside but there was a group of people in a Diamante that got out just as I did so I figured it was them. I came back out and she said the guy came in yelling at her to turn on the pump but since it was "pre-pay after dark" she refused unless he left money first. He said it was inconvinant to do so and argued with her for a while but finnly left some money and went back out. Well I got in my car and he was waiting by the entrance of the gas station. He was glaring at me. Some guy in a Continental flipped him off and yelled "ASS HOLE" out the window and then took off. I pulled out behind the Continental and followed him through the light, over the over pass, and made like I was going north bound, I got in the turn lane and turned on my signal (we were heading south). He went southbound again so I turned around, waited in an abaondoned parking lot for a few mins. and then got back on the south bound highway.

Well, I could see him over the next hill, cutting people off and acting crazy again so I said "enough" and got off the highway at the next exit. I went to a Burger King and got a Angus sandwhich and parked (by a pay phone incase the idiot showed up) to eat it. The burger was a ripp-off. Over $5.00 for just the burger, no fries and or a beverage. The chick didnt even give me napkins and the burger wasnt that great. Well I'm sitting there in the parking lot, in PARK, parking brake set, parking lamps on, A/C off, radio off but the car is running.

I am eating the sandwhich slowly (giving Florida coo-coo boy time to either drive ahead or pile up his POS wanna-be SUV) and all of the sudden my Taurus stalls. I hear a loud mechanical grinding noise after the engine is dead. I switched the key to OFF and let the car sit for a few mins. I turn off the lights and I turn the key to on, listen to the fuel pump prime, then restart the car without incident. It starts fine, runs fine, and hasnt done it since. This was about 1/2 way (just south of Montgomery, AL) and the car made the rest of the trip, ran perfect, and got excelent gas mileage. I really dont understand what caused it to stall and make the noise. I checked under the hood and everything looked just fine. I've since driven it about 250 miles around here (running errends, going to work, visiting frinds/family, etc) and it still hasnt made another sound other than the normal ones and continues to run flawlessly.

Thankfully, I never saw him (aggressive CRV guy) again but I did pass by another town on the highway later and saw police surrounding a car, I couldnt see if it was a silver CRV or not. If I had a cell phone with me, I certainly would have called.

Any ideas about the cars abnormality?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I have no idea about the problem with the car, other than maybe the ac compressor locked up and the pressure caused the car to stall??? I'm probably talking out my arse though...

As for the guy in the CRV, I would have called the cops while I was in the gas station or had the clerk call them. That's insanely reckless driving, and it shouldn't be tolerated. Hopefully they got pulled over and got a nice fat fine for it. I really hate when people feel the need to drive like total a$$holes...if you want to drive fast, that's fine, jsut don't weave in and out of traffic constantly. idiots.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Thankfully you didn't run into the CR-V after a quick trip to burger king.

One day driving home from my old job, I was on a major parkway at a point where the old parkway (2 lanes) merges into the new parkway (also 2 lanes). I was in the left most lane and then merged to the right one lane. Just a couple cars were out nothing bad at all.
I notice a red dodge dakota coming up QUICK on the old roadway and he's probably going at least 100 (i'm going 65 in 65 zone). All of the sudden he gets close to me and then BAM merges over all four lanes! I swerved to the left and ended up going into the median... and into roughly 1 foot of packed snow. I keep going at roughly 50 now directly towards a bridge post. I have no control over the car until hit a rock or SOMETHING to move the right side of the car up and when it came back down to the ground, it got traction on some cement under the bride. I turned to the left just as I was ready to hit the bridge post.

After almost pissing myself, I floored it and caught up with the guy. Two vans stayed behind me. I called 911 as did they (from what the 911 operator told me). The dakota was still all over the road. Plus he had a fridge in the bed, so it kept toppling almost all the way over and taking the truck with it. So the police are on the phone with me and within a minute theres a state trooper in my rear view mirror ALMOST ready to get the guy and then the guy exits. They had already called municpal police (theres not that many exits on the part of the road I was on so he could only get off in that area) and they arrested him for drunk driving on the spot. The state trooper apparently was actually on the overpass I almost hit and saw the me almost hit the bridge. He then went into pursuit. He pulled me over and said he'd stay with me until I calmed down (I was shaking and almost crying cause I thought i was gone).

Yeah, I know this is the second story I've written of me almost dying in a car accident... but thats it, I swear!!!! As much driving as I do, I really don't have that many close calls.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Greene county, near the Gulf Coast.

Another 200-300 miles on the car already and it still hasnt done it again. The A/C was switched off when it did this but I run the A/C all the time and its never done this before. Ahh well, as long as it doesnt do it again, I'm fine.

My dad is very sick so I may head back to GA tonight. At this rate, I'll have 3,000 miles since my oil change in less than three weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts