Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why my 2001 Sable that's was running perfectly fine and then I had to slam on the brakes from 60 to 0 and rite after that my car can barely get out of its own way? While I'm driving it seems after about 40 miles an hour the car seems to run great but other than that it's rough idle and on take of really rough

I really hope I can get some help because it's 20 degrees and I need to go to work!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Catalytic converter may have been slowly falling apart internally and the sudden deceleration jarred the internal debris so that it's blocking the exhaust flow (does exhaust sound/fell normal?). Or, sludge, rust and junk inside the fuel tank was dislodged, partially plugged the pump or fuel filter (check fuel pressure).
Anything's possible on a car that old. Just go down the list, doing all the inexpensive checks first.
Might be time to buy a code reader and see what the car has to say. It'll talk to you once you understand its language.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, and I do have a code reader. P0305 misfire cylinder 5, but I fixed that problem last week and so the car was running fine until I came to that dam sudden stop, then I just just checked and the engine light is blinking but it's giving me no code this time!

·
Super Moderator
8,806 Posts
Did you check for pending codes?

Reactions: sternbro1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only one I got was the p0305 misfire cylinder 5, one on my spark plugs wires is broke but not all the way, the last time it ran this way and with the same code coming up, I just replaced spark plug 4,5,6 and it ran fine, but when I cam to a abrupt stop is when it ran and is running like crap! I just don't see how I'm driving home from work hit the brakes hard and the car is running bad!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's too cold out right now her in New Jersey to be under the hood so I'm hopeful that it's something simple until I can get it to a shop or warm enough to work on it myself because I dive it 25 each way to work, how bad will the broken spark plug wire affect it, the middle of the wire is intact

·
Registered
556 Posts
For completeness, check whether not one of the front brakes blocks. The disk and caliper become VERY hot. Best to point at the disk with an infrared thermometer.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
It's too cold out right now her in New Jersey to be under the hood so I'm hopeful that it's something simple until I can get it to a shop or warm enough to work on it myself because I dive it 25 each way to work, how bad will the broken spark plug wire affect it, the middle of the wire is intact
Driving with a flashing check engine/ misfire is guaranteed to destroy important and expensive components. It sounds like the decel just caused your spark plug wire to give up or something related to ignition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went outside yesterday and pulled the spark plug wire from cylinder 5 then as I put it back on while the car is running there was no difference it still ran like crap, I pulled the 4 cylinder wire and the car almost shut down, then did cylinder 6 same thing car almost shut off, so I guess the broken 5 wire is shot, does that make sence?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Guess so. You might interchange the wires for 5 and 6 and see whether the problem moves from 5 to 6. Check, doublecheck and triplecheck the connections of 5 and 6 at the coilpack though: they are pretty counterintuitive:

1 2 3
5 6 4

If the problem moves from 5 to 6, it is obviously the wire. If it isn't, there is something wrong with 5 (but how that is caused by heavy braking escapes me).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless it's just a coincidence, it baffles me also, I have a new set of wires and should be here today sometime so I'm just gonna replace the old with the new and pray that's the fix! I'm a gmc guy myself but desperate times cause for desperate measures so I had to buy a mercury! Other than the little this and that's its a good running sable!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's over my 60 year old head! Lol is that good or bad. Or do I have to delete this website! ?????

·
Registered
556 Posts
I referred to the rivalry between Ford and GM, rumored to sometimes boil over to the personal (once brought up in a GM family you never buy a Ford and visa versa). Telling members of a Taurus forum that you as GM-person sank so low you had to buy a Ford, would in that scenario have you banned for life.
How serious this all is, is difficult for me to judge all the way from the Netherlands, although, when I visit the US, I do see the bumpers stickers. I read somewhere it specifically applies to truck owners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand it is a long running joke in America, but I'm grateful to have a forum like this, and as for what kind of cars we like that's for dreamers like myself, I don't have a choice in which car will be next ,I don't have the luxury of money like that! So don't take this so seriously and I'm thankful for all on this forum and the help and suggestions you all give me, (life's too short)

·
Super Moderator
8,806 Posts
ANY damage to the insulation on a plug wire is bad, especially if the insulation is damaged enough to be able to see the inner conductor. This type of damage will likely cause arcing to the closest ground.

Reactions: mikpal12 and ice445

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok thanks I ordered a cheap set of wires from Amazon and guess what (WRONG SIZE) I SHOULD HAVE FIGURED AS MUCH! Anyway I went to auto zone and spent the extra money for the proper product so I'll let you guys know when I get home from work, my fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just changed spark plug wire to cylinder 5 and no change and I'm passed, spent $50 on the wires which I don't mind, but I'm in the same boat, so misfire cylinder 5 again it reads, all the other wires are ok because I pulled each one and the car wants to shut down plus plenty of spark as I take each one off except wire 5

·
Registered
556 Posts
plenty of spark as I take each one off except wire 5
To avoid any misunderstanding: we are talking about a Vulcan (not Duratec) engine, right? And you don't have a spark at the coil-pack for #5 when you take the wire out, but you do have a spark for #1?

In a way that would be good news, because it can now only be either spark plug 5 or the coil pack. Since cylinders 1 and 5 fire at the same time in a Vulcan, you might interchange wires #1 and #5 at the coil pack (they are of course opposite each other, powered by the same coil). If the problem moves to cylinder 1 it is the coil pack, if the problem stays with cylinder 5, it is the spark plug.

Edit: now I realize you already changed spark plugs 4, 5 and 6. So this leaves the coil pack as the prime suspect. In a way there is also some logic to that because a short caused by wire #5 might have blown the #5 side of the common coil. And that in turn was caused by the hard breaking when the old #5 wire hit something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can I drive it for a couple of days until I get the coil pack, because I need to go to work!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts