Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the tweeters are the same, but is there any difference in quality between the mach and standard system door and rear deck speakers?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
IIRC, only the 1997 model has the different speakers, but shoot the speakers are probably now about 15 years old. Well past their prime anyways. the speakers have a different part number on them, but they look the same.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick, are you saying the mach and the standard have different part#s, or the 97s have diff. part#s from all the rest?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Woops
So for 97s you had standard issue speakers and mach speakers. At least they have different part numbers when I compared two 97s at the yard. Someone else noticed this as well (duraSEL?) They both look the same however. 98s and newer all use the same speaker regardless of MACH or not.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Nick and Sheila, I'm not sure about the 97 ones but 98+ speakers are the same, mach or not. :)

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks loads guys! Ive got a 98 donor parts car (was mach equipped) i pulled the mach rcu from and placed in another 98. Big improvement! The daily driver already had tweeters, so i left them alone. Yesterday i was pulling the eatc and tweets from the parts car and was just wondering if it was worth the effort (any gains to be had) to also swap the door and rear deck speakers. Thanks again for the answer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
According to the Ford parts breakout .....

There is no difference in the rear speakers between the standard, mach or premium sound.

The door speakers with the mach audio use the same as the rears, but the
door speakers with the premium sound have a slightly heavier magnet and are marked as 25w vs 20w.

Personally, the set of pioneer 4 ways sound better than any version of the factory 6x8's

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
^ What improvement would the slightly heavier magnet and the 25w vs 20w get you? The reason i ask is because somewhere behind the mach tweeter covers or on the mach rcu was a sticker labeled premium sound.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I assume larger magnet means more volume, more power handling, more ability to displace more air for better low bass. Based on my experience, the heavier the magnet the better low frequencies play. My cheapo Pioneer A-series and Infinity Reference speakers are slightly heavier than stock Ford speakers, and play bass a little better. My Alpine Type R 6.5" component woofers are so heavy, I almost dropped one when I was unpacking, despite being smaller than the Ford 6x9 speakers. They also play bass better than any other car peaker I tried. Though.. 20w vs 25w is not a huge difference.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Im a complete audio noob. I grew up in the days of transistor am radios and hissing 8-track tape players, lol.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is no difference in the rear speakers between the standard, mach or premium sound.

The door speakers with the mach audio use the same as the rears, but the
door speakers with the premium sound have a slightly heavier magnet and are marked as 25w vs 20w.

Personally, the set of pioneer 4 ways sound better than any version of the factory 6x8's

does this apply to a certain year? i just put new speakers in yesterday in my 2002 lx. was an absolute base model when i got it. it only had radio. not even a tape deck.... so i definitely didnt have any kind of upgraded sound system, and the stock speakers say 25W on the back. what models have the 20W?

of course I upgraded to 100W type R's... :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts