Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Originally posted by nsdjoe@Jul 11 2004, 09:15 PM
I'm considering doing this mod, but i have the side-impact airbags. Should I be worried about messing them up when i take the door panels off?
The side impact air bags are integrated into the driver/passanger seats - not the door panels.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by PC_Marine+Jul 11 2004, 09:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PC_Marine @ Jul 11 2004, 09:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsdjoe@Jul 11 2004, 09:15 PM
I'm considering doing this mod, but i have the side-impact airbags.  Should I be worried about messing them up when i take the door panels off?
The side impact air bags are integrated into the driver/passanger seats - not the door panels. [/b][/quote]
Ditto.

Removal of the current plastic covering that area is pretty easy. You just need to pop off that little round plastic circle in the middle of the current cover, and go from there. It had to be done when I had my side window replaced, and theres a connector there for it and everything.

-Damon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by PC_Marine+Jul 11 2004, 09:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PC_Marine @ Jul 11 2004, 09:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsdjoe@Jul 11 2004, 09:15 PM
I'm considering doing this mod, but i have the side-impact airbags.  Should I be worried about messing them up when i take the door panels off?
The side impact air bags are integrated into the driver/passanger seats - not the door panels. [/b][/quote]
Ahhhh, gotcha. Now I understand why they don't want you to use aftermarket seat covers ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
woohoo :) look what i won!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...1064&rd=1,1

Unfortuantly i can't buy the 6x8 typeR/tweeter/cross over combo i wanted atm :( i got a ticket (not speeding) but still, used up some funds.

Ill be installing these in the next month, im pretty sure i can handle this HUGE mod job lol :) but if anyone has any tips or advice, im all ears. I never turn down help :) and if i can replace my digi that recently took a crap, ill take pics as i do it for a write up.

My only question in advance (i haven't received the tweeter pods yet) is if your replacing the tweeters with after market, do you have to pop the black grill off, or is it from the back of the pod? I just don't want to break the grill :)

/wave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Before anything, I just have to say WOW, this is an old thred....I was still in high school when this was started :lol2:

Anyway, there are endless options for the stereos in these cars without interupting the factory feel. A major thing is to change the stock amp/rcu to the MACH amp/rcu. Its ultra simple, unplug the old rcu and plug in the new. Its truly the difference you can see before you hear.

[attachmentid=18186]

The stock rcu is on the left, the MACH is on the right...I rest my case. The sound is 1000x better than what that tin can used to put out.

Second, aftermarket speakers. Besides for the MACH tweeters, Ford uses the exact 6X8s in every Taurus, whether it's MACH equipted or not. Find some nice after market 6X8s (I prefer Infinity) and get components for the front. If you stick with 6X8 they're basically plug-and-play. Componets are nice because they seperate the highs and the lows for you with a supplied crossover that you can easily fit behind the door panel, and they give you the flexibility to install a tweeter in the sail cover. This is what I did, and the stock sail cover has enough empty space behind it for you to tastefully install tweeters that look factory. Refer below...

[attachmentid=18187]

After market speakers combined with the MACH rcu, stock radio, and CD players/changers make a nice system thats not to showy, sounds really good, and practically anyone can do. Most of this stuff can be bought from people on this forum too. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Before anything, I just have to say WOW, this is an old thred....I was still in high school when this was started :lol2:

Anyway, there are endless options for the stereos in these cars without interupting the factory feel. A major thing is to change the stock amp/rcu to the MACH amp/rcu. Its ultra simple, unplug the old rcu and plug in the new. Its truly the difference you can see before you hear.

[attachmentid=18186]

The stock rcu is on the left, the MACH is on the right...I rest my case. The sound is 1000x better than what that tin can used to put out.

[/b]

Quick question

the plugs are not in a row on the Mach unit. Is it still the same order (example, left, middle, right) on the Mach Unit? Basically, take the leftmost harness out of the stock unit and place it in the MACH. Take the middle harness out of the stock unit, etc.

Thank you!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Pm sent. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
with the set up im running, i have plenty of bass, so 75% of the bass out of all the door/tweets/back speakers and let the sub cover the low end, i just tapped the tweeters into the front 6x8 line and there not trying to push any bass at all, ever, so it works nice

·
Registered
340 Posts
with the set up im running, i have plenty of bass, so 75% of the bass out of all the door/tweets/back speakers and let the sub cover the low end, i just tapped the tweeters into the front 6x8 line and there not trying to push any bass at all, ever, so it works nice [/b]
I need to upgrade speakers since I do not have a sub to cover the low end bass.

But, my plans changed on the car once I heard the set-up. Off to the drawing boards!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are the Ford part numbers:

Left side tweeter assy/bracket: YF1Z18808BA
Right side tweeter assy/bracket: YF1Z18808CA

Left side grill/housing: F8DZ18978BAA
Right side grill/housing: F8DZ18979BAA

Thanks to garyjc for providing the part numbers to me in the first place too!
I'm looking for the grill for the left side. F8DZ18978BAA Does anyone have one available? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've tried Ebay, local junkyards, Ford Dealers and searching the internet. People are still selling the speaker behind the grill, but not the grill. I found one for the right side 😀. Speakers in the wings are a rare item in early to mid 2000 Tauruses and even Sables while cars like Fusions all seem to have wing tweeters. I'm adding the tweeters to my 2006 SE, as well as EATC and a double din stereo thanks to taurusKev's write-up on how to add EATC. I'm using a Metra kit that works with EATC and creates an opening for a double din.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts