Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting tired of looking at the empty black plastic covers in the corners of the front doors, I decided to add the factory Mach tweeter pods that came with the old JBL and current Mach 460 sound systems since my car (an '03 Taurus SES Duratec) came with the basic 4-speaker AM/FM/Single CD audio system. It wasn't very hard to do and wasn't all that expensive, $80 total.

To add them, simply remove the interior front door panels (seven screws each), remove the ugly plastic covers opposite the side-view mirrors, install the tweeter pods, wire the tweeters to the lower 6x8 door speakers, and replace the interior door panels.

To wire the tweeters, I took about a foot long length of speaker wire and soldered it to the existing 6x8 door speaker, then ran and tied that wire to the wiring harness for the tweeter. The tweeters come with an inline crossover filter that make sure the tweeter isn't trying to play the low bass sounds.

The visual result you see in the pictures, IMO a definite improvement over the original covers while keeping the factory look. The audio quality improvement is definitely noticeable. I'm sure that aftermarket tweeters would be better, but the improvement I got is good enough for me. If you want aftermarket ones, you could always install aftermarket tweeters into the factory sail-mounted pods.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the Ford part numbers:

Left side tweeter assy/bracket: YF1Z18808BA
Right side tweeter assy/bracket: YF1Z18808CA

Left side grill/housing: F8DZ18978BAA
Right side grill/housing: F8DZ18979BAA

Thanks to garyjc for providing the part numbers to me in the first place too!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
good write-up, I'm sure this will be helpful to others in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
sweet! i just had a 2002 Ses Taurus rental car this weekend. it had the mach audio system. WAY better than my 4 speaker setup. i was wanting to buy them. and i came home and read this. where did you get them? online? or did you order them from the dealer? will they fit on a 2004?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the positive feedback! I believe that the parts I listed will indeed fit a 2004, but you may want to talk to the people in the parts department for sure. Most of the changes in the '04s are minor (gauges), but most of the trim appears to be the same.

I bought everything from http://www.fordpartsdirect.net (Warner Robbins Ford in Georgia), which was HALF the price that any of my local Ford dealers in Northern Virginia would sell them for. The people at Warner Robbins are great to talk to over the phone too and they ship fast - just make sure to order through the internet because they sell for MSRP over the phone (just call them if you have any questions about part numbers and they will even tell you to order online since someone else handles online sales).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by afi292@Jul 7 2004, 04:27 PM
Id like to do this! maybe ebay will have heapter ones?
E-Bay is worth a shot...I looked for a couple weeks and didn't see anything and grew impatient :blink:

The $80 I paid did include 2-day shipping via UPS (ground shipping was only a couple bucks less and I didn't want to wait the extra 3 days)...

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by HokieRacer@Jul 7 2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback! I believe that the parts I listed will indeed fit a 2004, but you may want to talk to the people in the parts department for sure. Most of the changes in the '04s are minor (gauges), but most of the trim appears to be the same.

I bought everything from http://www.fordpartsdirect.net (Warner Robbins Ford in Georgia), which was HALF the price that any of my local Ford dealers in Northern Virginia would sell them for. The people at Warner Robbins are great to talk to over the phone too and they ship fast - just make sure to order through the internet because they sell for MSRP over the phone (just call them if you have any questions about part numbers and they will even tell you to order online since someone else handles online sales).
thanks i'll have to order them. do you think they are better than buying some aftermarket tweeters for the same price?

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by HokieRacer+Jul 7 2004, 04:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HokieRacer @ Jul 7 2004, 04:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-afi292@Jul 7 2004, 04:27 PM
Id like to do this! maybe ebay will have heapter ones?
E-Bay is worth a shot...I looked for a couple weeks and didn't see anything and grew impatient :blink:

The $80 I paid did include 2-day shipping via UPS (ground shipping was only a couple bucks less and I didn't want to wait the extra 3 days)... [/b][/quote]
Ah, i just looked on ebay too... there isn't any in there

So does it improve the sound a lot??? Was it worth it????? do you have stock speakers?????

Jesse

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver+Jul 7 2004, 04:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (detroit_raver @ Jul 7 2004, 04:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HokieRacer@Jul 7 2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback!  I believe that the parts I listed will indeed fit a 2004, but you may want to talk to the people in the parts department for sure. Most of the changes in the '04s are minor (gauges), but most of the trim appears to be the same.

thanks i'll have to order them. do you think they are better than buying some aftermarket tweeters for the same price? [/b][/quote]
Well, one thing is forsure, they look a hell of a lot better than anything we could rig w/ an aftermarket tweeter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, I will say that adding the sail-mounted tweeters is definitely an improvement to the basic Ford AM/FM/Single-CD 4-speaker system. Although I'm not an audiophile, my assumption is that you'd probably be able to find better tweeters in the aftermarket.

The parts come as an assembly. For each side, you order the tweeter assembly which includes the housing/pod that mounts on the door and the tweeter itself with crossover filter and connector. The grille cover is separate from the tweeter assembly.

I'm happy with the factory speakers and the added factory tweeters. You could always order the parts and install them and see how it sounds. If you want to improve on that, or are really big into audio and you want to keep the factory look, you may want to replace the factory 6x8s in the front doors and rear package shelf with aftermarket speakers, and replace the factory tweeters that come with the tweeter assembly with aftermarket tweeters. You can also add a subwoofer to the rear package shelf (there's a space for one, see web-link below) like what used to be offered with the old JBL sound systems...

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/stereo.html

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
tweeters, aftermarket or not, add alot to the sound in a car. $80 is a Great price. Im glad you enjoy it! I installed aftermarket tweeters inot the mach pods. there even better!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
well i guess i'm wondering if there is any after market tweeters that are $80 for 2 that would sound any better than the Mach ones. or am i better off just getting the Mach ones? i'm gonna replace the 2 speakers in my doors and in back. one is all staticy and the stupid dealership won't replace it cause my bass was turned all the way up on the radio. whatever that has to do with it. so i'm gonna get all new speakers. i hate the sound system on this car. my 97 stock sound system was better. so am i better off getting aftermarket ones to go with my new aftermarket speakers, or should i get the Mach ones to go with the aftermarket speakers?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Sara, it's your fault that ford put speakers into the car that can't handle the output from the FACTORY stereo? They should replace them.

If your'e going to replace the door speakers anyway, just save up the money and buy a good component setup.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
actually....the factory deck puts out less then the speakers can handle....actually, alot less. The distortion is the internal amp not being able to push enough power. The deck is the first thing to replace.

Brad

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jul 7 2004, 07:25 PM
actually....the factory deck puts out less then the speakers can handle....actually, alot less. The distortion is the internal amp not being able to push enough power. The deck is the first thing to replace.

Brad
lets say i don't replace the deck, cause that is something the hubbie WILL notice... (he won't notice new speakers) and i replace the speakers and put some tweeters in, will it still be all staticy?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
the Efficiency of the new speakers will be much better, so the sound will be at least a little louder. but if you keep the bass all the way up and crank up the volume; yes, it will still be distorted.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver+Jul 7 2004, 07:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (detroit_raver @ Jul 7 2004, 07:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Baby SHO@Jul 7 2004, 07:25 PM

Brad
lets say i don't replace the deck, cause that is something the hubbie WILL notice... (he won't notice new speakers) and i replace the speakers and put some tweeters in, will it still be all staticy? [/b][/quote]
Yes, it will still be full of static... if you get a new head unit, it will improve the sound quality emmensley....even with the factory speakers...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts