Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was online and found a 2000- 2003 complete MACH stereo with rcu and speakers. Will this fit into a 1997 GL? Are the connections the same? Especially the RCU? Are the speakes plug and play or is there wiring I need to do?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The faceplate for the stereo is different, as the 97 is a Gen III and the 2000-2003 is Gen IV. I don't know about the wiring, but you'd just be better off buying an aftermarket stereo if you're looking for something better. The Mach system just isn't worth putting into your car as a "new" system. If you have any questions about what will fit or work well in your car, feel free to PM me.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
yes it will fit.

Id beg to differ about the above comment. Its real close to an aftermarket deck. depends what you like....if you want a little more power, get the mach. If you want more power and control, get an aftermarket deck.

Brad

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
How much is the system? Are you working on a budget? Do you have rotary or auto climate controls? If I were you I'd skip the mach system and add aftermarket equipment, it'll sound much better and provide more power.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I disagree as well, I have the Mach system with 6 speakers, all factory. Everyone thinks I have aftermarket amp and speakers. The Mach is very powerful for a stock deck, and it looks stock :ph34r: so less temptation for someone to "relieve" you of it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You can't compare the Mach stereo to an aftermarket headunit because aftermarket headunit numbers are so full of it. They were BS'ing when they were claiming 40x4 and now some heads are claiming 60x4. If tested like a real amp at real distortion levels, the typical aftermarket headunit would put out between 13 and 21 watts rms @ <1% THD. I would expect that the Mach amp puts out better power than that and with less distortion.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
since we are in this topic. i want to put a cd player on my 1996 GL station wagon.but it has the cassete radio and im interested in the mach system. does anyone know if i can just plug and play the "new" cd ready reciever. or do i have to do a mess out of it? troper 8 said "The Mach is very powerful for a stock deck, and it looks stock so less temptation for someone to "relieve" you of it. i agreee 100% with him on this one .i heard the cd player plugs into the electric antena.is this true

·
Registered
341 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8@Jun 4 2004, 10:52 AM
I disagree as well, I have the Mach system with 6 speakers, all factory. Everyone thinks I have aftermarket amp and speakers. The Mach is very powerful for a stock deck, and it looks stock :ph34r: so less temptation for someone to "relieve" you of it.

http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=115837&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='2272' height='1704' class='attach' />[/url] [/b][/quote]
Ditto. I have a 97 LX with a factory installed MACH 6 spkr/6 disc system and it thumps hard for factory setup.

Not as much control...but the MACH is a rockin' system.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I do miss the steering wheel controls and the 5 band equilizet that I had stock on my 96' Grand Am. But, after getting the mach on the past few bulls I have had, I can tell you that the power and sound quality of the Mach more than make up for those silly little creature comforts. Unless your planning on a $1,000+ system, just go with the Mach. You may only need to change the RCU, but I am not sure. If you had 2 10" subs in the trunk, it will be more than enough for 99.9% of the people that own a bull.

G

·
I just took a CD changer from a sable premium with mach sound system... i'm thinking about going back to ask for the RCU... lol

what else would I need to take? the two extra tweeters from the front doors and what else?

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Jun 11 2004, 11:14 PM
the mach stereo sucks, no control whatsover, the speakers are s***, the amp is low powered...if you want something that sounds good go aftermarket.
Well, to each his own. I have personally had a number of aftermarket head units and amps, and speakers professionally consulted on and installed in a number of my previous vehicles. The single most appealing aspect of the MACH, to me at least, is that it is, and looks STOCK. Maybe those that don't like it, may not have heard a MACH. A very good friend of mine who owns a car audio shop, asked me what kind of amps I had, and was a little upset that I went somewhere else to get them. Then he noticed that I had the MACH system and said that it was a very good and powerful factory system.

BTW if anyone in the Bay Area, Ca. is interested in after market systems PM me and I'll give you the info for my friend, he has promised that anyone that is interested he will give them like 20% off retail and unit and installation. He typically only works on high end vehicles (BMWs, Range Rover, Porches, ect.) Last week he did a $20K :wacko: system in a SUV for some football player :blink: .

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't know about any of you other gen 4 guys, but I have the stock cassette with the 4 stock 6x8's in my car and it kinda bumps good. You can hear it bump a little bit outside the car, but inside it sounds good and it's pretty damn clear, I can raise it 3 bars below the max. Michael Bolton has never sounded better!! :blink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.