Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You are claiming to be familiar with the MACH system, but your listen is wrong for the Gen 3. If it is part #F6DF-18C851-EE, like your listing says it is JBL, but it does not share or carry the MACH naming (which you also have listed in the title) and I feel is misleading to a potential customer.

I wouldn't say it's plug and play either unless someone already has the RCU and they need a replacement unit. otherwise, they need the woofer, tweeters, and proper harnesses to properly hear and enjoy the sytem. otherwise it is going to sound like poo without the woofer and harness hooked up at minimum.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Good grief! I also advertised a JBL Amp and assumed it is the same as the Mach Amp with the exception that the JBL has a plug for a subwoofer. I used the the JBL Amp from an 1996 Sable and door twitters from a 2001 Taurus and installed them in my sons 2003 SEL. It was all plug and play and worked great.( I will put a Mach amp in and sell the JBL simply because I don't need the Sub outlet and maybe someone else would) Am I maybe confusing potential buyers? Just asking I don't want to be misleading.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No you aren't confusing anyone. When I first discovered the Mach/JBL RCU upgrade idea I bought a Mach RCU because I wasn't interested in a seperate subwoofer. I'm not someone who needs to blow the windows out of my car with overwhelmingly powerful bass. I normally listen to metal, so good highs and mids with decent lows is all i want. I don't use the door tweeters - I bought pioneer 6x8 3 ways that sound amazing with my Gen 3 Mach RCU. I felt like the Gen 3 Mach sounded better than Gen 4, but maybe other people disagree. I tried every Mach/JBL RCU in my 2004 Taurus SE with 6x8 pioneer 3-ways and the Gen 3 was the winner in my opinion. The highs and lows sounded better, but I think thats because the gain was set different on the Gen 3 from the factory. The circuitry is the same, but the gain is set higher on the Gen 4, which makes the RCU seem louder, but the amperage is lower at a high volume levels. In other words, with the volume set to 3 dots on a Gen 4 RCU, it will sound very loud, but with noticeably less bass. With the volume set to 3 dots on a Gen 3 RCU, it will be less loud than the Gen 4, but with richer bass response and more pronounced highs.

Does this make sense?
I wonder if perhaps I should just get both a Gen 3 and 4 Mach RCU, see what I like better (I prefer loudness at times, bass at others)...Then sell the other. I wasn't aware there was that much of a difference in the two. Do they distort artificially after half volume like the regular RCU? I can't find any info on Google with that.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
There was a gen III RCU that was mach and had a JBL sticker on the top of it, with no subwoofer output, I have one. It was from a 98 SHO with NO subwoofer factory. So his listing may not be incorrect...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Considering the market for MACH and JBL stuff (people must know about the system to search for it), it seems silly to list the name of something that it isn't, but again that is your listing.

If you don't know the answer, it's better to ask than assume :) TCCA has a plethora of information on this stuff. I don't want to see people get burned from a sale b/c the seller had incorrect information listed and the product was not up to the buyer's expectations. Sorry for giving you a heads up.

By the way, your post may have negatively affected my credibility, just so you know. As a senior member, please think your comments through before posting. You made it sound like I'm out to rip people off.
I did think about what I posted.
There was a gen III RCU that was mach and had a JBL sticker on the top of it, with no subwoofer output, I have one. It was from a 98 SHO with NO subwoofer factory. So his listing may not be incorrect...
Yea I have seen a couple of those too, but those have the F7DF or later part number, indicating it to be a MACH not a JBL. The picture he has on the Gen 3 listing is of the Gen 4 amp (besides the point). F6DF-18C851-DE while having a 96 part number, would be the MACH RCU equivalent from a high spec 96...the "Premium Sound" amp, like Export models received. Same as MACH, just before MACH became the new standard for 97MY.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I feel it is important to note that a G3 JBL (96) system has the low frequency sub-bass filtered to a bandpass circuit that delivers low bass to the the SUB ONLY. A JBL with no sub sounds like "poo", as Nick stated, you can't hear/make up for what isn't there, and the very low bass going to the sub and not your other speakers allows them to sound richer and have more sonic detail as they are not struggling to reproduce lows of around 200Hz and lower. And it is not "overpowering" bass like an aftermarket setup can be, aside from the fact that your head unit has separate level controls for bass, treble, and fade, it's only around 70 watts mono power output. It sounds really good and tight and Ford screwed up when they dropped the setup, IMHO.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
"The RCU's with a subwoofer out on them aren't electrically different..."
Yes, they are...I have tested both side by side with an oscilloscope. There is no output above ~200Hz on the sub-out, it does not have enough wattage to drive an un-amped speaker by itself, and it is a mono signal. The output on the stereo channels drops off sharply below ~200Hz, but runs at 25 watts per channel. I would say that is quite a difference.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
"You senior members are really good at running people off."
Brian,
I don't see how anybody is being "run off". If a Club Member decides not to purchase an item from another Club Member after becoming FULLY INFORMED as to what that product truly is and what it isn't, seems to me you are just avoiding poor seller ratings due to disappointed customers. And my clarifying the details of what a unique, awesome sounding system the JBL is, just might convince someone they want one.
There are a few other Members on here that regularly sell used audio equipment and they are very clear on the details of what they are selling, do you want to be known as anyone less than them? Accurate details are everything, my friend. No one has posted ANYTHING saying the equipment you have for sale is flawed or defective in any way.
C***blockers only prevent a f***ing, last time I checked the definition...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
LOL "blowing smoke". I apologize for trying to "inform", as more often than not, people generally have questions about what JBL is versus MACH and what they need to do to make it work..

At least you are keeping your 90% eBay rating in tact. Good luck with your sale. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
All I know is the Mach system is leaps and bounds better then the wimpy standard system. Even the JBL without a sub plugged in is more then enough. One or two dots is all I ever need. I want to be able to hear later on. Sigh. Therefore, I sure as heck don't need a sub with my JBL. If someone wants to swap a Mach amp with my JBL---PM me. I have info overload and am bowing out for now. Good stuff .Thank-you everyone!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I've just been informed that a non-logo Mach twitter is NOT a Mach twitter even though they look alike except for the plastic cover. I understand from TCCA sources that "model year 1997 on Mach became the standard normal." Therefore, I see them commonly referred to as Logo and Non-logo to avoid confusion. If I'm misinformed I don't want to refer to non-logo as Mach if thats incorrect. I believe I'm technically correct.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts