Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this summer I got my hands on a Mach RCU for my 2002 Taurus. I finally found some time to install the Tweeters and Mach. But now I'm having some problems.

Issue 1) Audible whiny noise in driver side that that is proportional to the engine RPM. higher RPM = higher pitch noise. This noise comes on as soon as stereo is turned on and is present regardless of stereo volume/balance or other controls.

Issue 2) Distortion at low volume in passenger side. At first I thought I had a blown tweeter, but I swapped the two tweeters and distortion stayed on passenger side.

Now I have my original JBL RCU installed and both problems are gone so my Mach RCU must be bad. I saw the post about no-audio on driver side due to bad solder joints in the MACH and took mine apart to see what it looked like.

Attached to this post are some photos of the circuit board. To me it looks like someone has already attempted to repair this stereo. Due to the look of the soldering and there are little dimples in the solder joints from someone probing around with a multimeter.

The only bad connection I found so far is a capacitor whose traces lifted off the board and one side is disconnected. Also does anyone know why that single pin on both amps is just floating free (nothing to solder to)?

The part number on the two amps says 70039AB but I haven't found any datasheets yet.

Do you guys think I should attempt repairing this or just find a new Mach RCU?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It is definitely fixable. However, the MACH RCU is plentiful enough that you would be better off getting another one rather than fixing it or finding someone to fix it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I have the same problem with my RCU. But then I got a aftermarket headunit and still the same problem. I think it's the wires if you ask me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts