Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Mach RCU Marketplace!? Upgrading Speakers!

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Willow 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've been visiting this forum since I got a my Taurus this year and I must say, I find answers to all questions or problems! Thats a nice benefit for driving a Taurus!

Currently, I am upgrading the audio system: I installed an Amp by using the level input: splicing in the rear speaker cables from the RCU. The amp will be used for a sub.
I also have a pair of Infinity 6822CF speakers that I want to install in the front doors.

Now my question is:
1. Would it be worthwhile to install those speakers without upgrading the RCU to Mach? I've read that the stock RCU only supplies 2-3watt per channel.
2. Will the level input of my aftermarket amp decrease the watts to the rear level speakers?
3. Where could I buy the Mach RCU? I searched on ebay, google, etc. but no luck!

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
PM sent. :)

#3 ·
Willow:

I got all my MACH Audio hardware from the boneyard, 2002 SES Taurus. This includes MACH amp, two rear speakers, two front speakers and two mid-range. MACH amp was plug and play, speakers are a different story.

I had to solder the MACH audio wires to my original wires with the exception I believe of the mid-range speakers. MACH speakers are more robust than the original speakers, heavier magnets to handle the MACH amp.

This is a very worth while upgrade and recommended by me. I believe all my Mach hardware had a cost of $150 dollars or about $150, its been a while. You get a lot of performance without spending hundreds of dollars, plus since its Ford parts, its guarantee to fit the 1st time.

With the non-MACH system the speakers started getting loud around 60% volume.

With the MACH system the speakers started getting loud around 15% volume.
The difference is like night and day. Gotta love it ! :)

Monsoon

#4 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the non-Mach speakers in doors/rear decks are identical to the Mach system speakers. The only difference is the addition of sail panel tweeter. My stock, non-Mach system sounds great with the Mach amp and tweeters added. Try this setup first, then decide if you want to spend money on aftermarket speakers...

#5 ·
Right, the MACH speakers are the same as the non-MACH speakers.

Aftermarket speakers will definitely sound much better than the factory speakers. There is a noticeable difference.

#6 ·
Absolutely false on my car, 3rd gen Sable LS. 4th gen MACH system is more robust and has heavier magnets.

#9 ·
Maybe he's talking about the 96-97 jbl/mach speakers?? :dunno:

#12 ·
The amp is located on the rear drivers panel area behind the spare tire.

#14 ·
Thanks for all your help!
I installed the Polk DXI650 speakers in the rear and they sound great but could be better. I guess the Mach RCU that I was offered will solve that and then it will be time to also get the front fixed with some Alpine SPS-600 and the Mach tweeters.
In comparison, the stock speakers sounded like sound coming out of an aluminum can. At the same volume level they were a little bit louder, probably because they only have 25 watts. However, as much as they were loud, most of the volume they produced was in the midrange which makes them sound a little flat and seemed to overtune some music details that were not intended to be played that loud. With the new speakers, the same songs sounded quite differently! Whereas the new speakers have nicely defined highs and better sound quality overall, the stock speakers had a better bass and broader sound spectrum. I guess they were 3-way in comparison to the new ones that are 2-way. Luckily I already have a sub installed which compensates the loss in bass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.