Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just got my JBL setup from DWK. Sounds fairly good, I was hoping for a little more boom on the bass, but I think with a bit of adjusting it will work ok. The highs and bass from the front are amazing, it sounds like you are at a concert. And as a note, there was apparently enough bass for my sister to hear it inside and across the house. We have a freakin huge house, so thats saying something. I am still planning on getting the Mach RCU and tweeters, so ill compare them and post my findings.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
SES models are not pre-wired for tweeters unless the car came with MACH from the factory. Only SEL and LS Prem's are prewired.

That MACH is from the 12th week of 1999. Part number indicates it's a Gen 4 (the "CA" at the end). So a very early Gen 4 Mach in a Gen 3 SHO. s ounds normal.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
SES models are not pre-wired for tweeters unless the car came with MACH from the factory. Only SEL and LS Prem's are prewired.

That MACH is from the 12th week of 1999. Part number indicates it's a Gen 4 (the "CA" at the end). So a very early Gen 4 Mach in a Gen 3 SHO. s ounds normal.
Thanks for the confirmation. As long as it works in my car and performs as all of you say, I'll be thrilled for the $39.95 shipped price I paid. I've been contacting local salvage yards and no one has a Mach RCU (or knows what it is).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am aware of the Mach RCU, but what are the details of the JBL please? Heading to a salvage yard Thursday to see what goodies I can find.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You'll usually only find a JBL in a '96 SHO.
It looks just like a MACH with the addition of an another plug on the RCU for the sub.

·
Registered
359 Posts
3F1T-18C851-AA is the OEM 12 watt that came with my '06 SE
The little white sticker of (0544) leads me to believe the 44th week of '05, which makes sense.

Oddly, the mounting brackets got its own part #
F6DF-19B175-AC

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Mounting bracket part number is expected. IT's the same one as found on a Gen 3…no change.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have read this post twice and still have a question. Are the plugs the same in an 04 taurus SE with the basic 4 speaker setup and one with the Mach?
When at the JY last time I cut the plugs off of an SE and they did not look like the ones on a mach system.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I am aware of the Mach RCU, but what are the details of the JBL please? Heading to a salvage yard Thursday to see what goodies I can find.
The JBL systems were found in mid-to-late 90s Ford vehicles, usually the higher end models. The RCU looks just like the Mach RCU, but has one extra connector for the subwoofer amplifier. The door/rear deck speakers were often a mid-range + tweeter set up. There was a separate subwoofer with it's own enclosure and an amplifier for it. The subs are usually shot (speaker surround disintegrated). So, find yourself a 4 ohm 6" or 8" subwoofer and have at it. They are almost plug and play. You'll need to run power to the subwoofer amp and provide a turn-on signal for the subwoofer amp. You can tap the power antenna for this (+12V when the radio is on - which causes the power antenna to extend).

I've pulled one from a 97 Lincoln Town Car and a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer. You can also find them in Crown Vics and Grand Marquis. The SHO JBL set ups were a little different. I think they had an amplifier mounted to the subwoofer.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.