Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
My 2003 SE has single CD player and 4 speakers...

I'd LOVE to upgrade to the MACH system (premium sound is ok too)....

What do I need to do to make the upgrade?? And how pricey do you think it would be?
[/b]

don't take offense, but read the threads.... perform a search or seek my prior posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
QUOTE (CDChangerGuy @ May 30 2008, 09:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=629585
F7DF-18C851-LA is definitely a JBL RCU not MACH. Sorry, this is wrong!!!

Edited: F7DF-18C851-LA is definitely MACH RCU[/b]

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 30 2008, 11:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=629662
QUOTE (CDChangerGuy @ May 30 2008, 10:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=629585
F7DF-18C851-LA is definitely a JBL RCU not MACH.[/b]
Made the correction above, thanks :thumb:
[/b][/quote]
This is DEFINITELY a JBL part #, from a '96 SHO (according to Luke):

And I just realized my thread got sticked..
:lol:

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
I got the same part# out of 2 Mach equipped cars, and IIRC Nick had one with the same # matching mach as well. Neither had the extra plug for the sub harness.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
:dunno:

This ones a JBL..
Why would they duplicate P/N's for two different RCU'S?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just checking...

I have an opportunity to purchase both the JBL RCU and sub amp from a '95 SHO. Part numbers F2DF-18C808-AB (sub amp) and F3DF-18C807-BA (RCU). Are these plug-compatible with the harnesses for my "stock" RCU & CD changer (2000 SE)?

The JBL RCU is black and has the Ford/JBL logos and a cable hanging out of the side that looks like it connects to the sub amp.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Plug and play!

:thumb:

·
Registered
833 Posts
I just pulled an RCU out of a junk yard for no cost. The car was pretty much completely stripped, so I have no idea what this is. Part # F7DF-18C851-AA. I don't see that anywhere on the thread, anyone know which this is?? I'm pretty sure the car was a 98, and it kinda looked like it may have had tweeters at some point. Small heatsink on one side. help! Thanks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I hooked it up and did the 3/6 test and got the id code. The definition came up as "midline", as opposed to analog or digital. I'm assuming this means it's somewhere in the middle of crap and mach. So to me, it's crap. Do you think I'm making the correct assumption, and I should stick with the 2005 rcu for now and trash the 98 "midline"? The 05 comes up with same id..

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Small heatsink on one side = standard amp. :(

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just picked up a F7DF-18C851-LB mach unit, all finned up & ready to install... Until...

The plugs have different guide slots than the connectors in my 2004 Sable. Not the 'plug & play' I was expecting. Do I have to grind the guides off my stock plugs, or did I get an incompatible unit ??

F7DF-18C851-LB is supposedly from a gen 3 SHO. I don't know if that info helps...

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
QUOTE (TourDeForce @ May 26 2010, 01:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807026
I just picked up a F7DF-18C851-LB mach unit, all finned up & ready to install... Until...

The plugs have different guide slots than the connectors in my 2004 Sable. Not the 'plug & play' I was expecting. Do I have to grind the guides off my stock plugs, or did I get an incompatible unit ??

F7DF-18C851-LB is supposedly from a gen 3 SHO. I don't know if that info helps...[/b]
If it's from a gen 3 SHO, then it should be compatible. Did you make sure you weren't trying to put the wrong connectors into the wrong slots?

If your car has a CD changer, then you will have a gray connector. The gray connector should go into the lower slot furthest to the right. And the smaller black connector will go right next to it. The larger black connector will only fit into one slot, so that one should be easy...

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (PURPL3H3YS @ May 26 2010, 02:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807029

F7DF-18C851-LB is supposedly from a gen 3 SHO. I don't know if that info helps...[/b]
If it's from a gen 3 SHO, then it should be compatible. Did you make sure you weren't trying to put the wrong connectors into the wrong slots?

If your car has a CD changer, then you will have a gray connector. The gray connector should go into the lower slot furthest to the right. And the smaller black connector will go right next to it. The larger black connector will only fit into one slot, so that one should be easy...

[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't have a problem at all if the guides lined up either way. I can figure that out easily enough. The slots on the RCU are at the far corners of the connector. The guides on my Sable wiring connectors are somewhere near the middle of the plug. The larger connector plugs in directly, no problem. The others are keyed similar to this:

RCU:

i-------------i
U----------U

'04 & '05 plugs (some variation to differentiate plugs)

i-------------i
!----u---u--!

I did more seaching and found a post with a source for Mach RCUs and the connector is the same as the RCU I have. The stock connectors for my Sable and Taurus are the same and the RCUs are easily interchangeable, so I suspect my cars are typical. Just wondering if ignoring the guides is what everybody has been doing.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
QUOTE (TourDeForce @ May 26 2010, 02:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807035
QUOTE (PURPL3H3YS @ May 26 2010, 02:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807029

[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't have a problem at all if the guides lined up either way. I can figure that out easily enough. The slots on the RCU are at the far corners of the connector. The guides on my Sable wiring connectors are somewhere near the middle of the plug.

I did more seaching and found a post with a source for Mach RCUs and the connector is the same as the RCU I have. The stock connectors for my Sable and Taurus are the same and the RCUs are easily interchangeable. Just wondering if ignoring the guides is typical.
[/b][/quote]

Hmm, maybe some of the RCUs had different guides? That's interesting...

If you grind off the guides and they fit then, I guess that works! :lol2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (PURPL3H3YS @ May 26 2010, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807042
Hmm, maybe some of the RCUs had different guides? That's interesting... :lol2:[/b]
It's also FALSE. Upon closer inspection of the plugs, THIS SCREW UP IS MY FAULT !

The plugs are simply inverted vs the stock RCU. I'm feeling very stoopud. :(

Last time I do mod work with my sunglasses on. Let the laughter begin!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.