Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its it worth it to get a dash kit for the Digital Havc systems?

I have seen dash kits for the standard 3 knob setup, but not for the digital.
I have An after market Radio in my base model 2001 SE and a fully revamped system. but I might hand that car down to my brother and I wanted to throw it all in my 2000 Loaded SE.

I was wondering if there was an amp for the Mach system and if so where is it located, first glance revealed nothing.

If it has one I was going to swap it for my KAPPA four amp and then do a LOC for A 12 inch sub

Is this do'able?

·
Registered
173 Posts

I have An after market Radio in my base model 2001 SE and a fully revamped system. but I might hand that car down to my brother and I wanted to throw it all in my 2000 Loaded SE.

I was wondering if there was an amp for the Mach system and if so where is it located, first glance revealed nothing.

If it has one I was going to swap it for my KAPPA four amp and then do a LOC for A 12 inch sub

Is this do'able?
lol if you have the MACH system it is in the back of the car, located on the left hand side underneath the cover. Should be a silver box with cooling fins.

I have seen a digital kit for the taurus, it looks completely different though but it may work for your purpose. I don't have to much detail about it though, a simple search might allow you to find it.
Amazon has it, do search Metra 99-5718 Single or Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for 2000-2003 Ford Taurus (Black

Cost 230.00 though...

·
Premium Member
93 Posts

Is this do'able?
For a Gen IV there is a digital dash kit available on the net someplaces. Prob. a metra... the stereo in these cars is in two parts... the control unit at the front, and the RCU in the trunk (aka the amp). If you are looking for the RCU it is behind the carpet in the trunk on the drivers side rear fenderwell area. If it is Mach it will have aluminum cooling fins all around it. This is integrated with the factory stereo and to replace it with a 4-chanel aftermarket would be possible as long as you plan on putting in a new head unit up front. I wouldn't, however, reccomend mounting your aftermarket amp in the same location as the factory Mach. I know alot of members here keep the Mach setup because it does have great highs and decent mids, and just use a LOC to add a sub, I chose an even screwier method... I used a two channel LOC and kept the factory control unit and ran two 2-channel amps for the front and rear speakers with aftermarket pioneer speakers and no sub... MUCH better bass response than factory.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, on models with the automatic climate control, your options are much more limited, but you can get excellent results with the LOC and using the stock setup to control a separate amp. Myself, I stuck with the stock Mach setup. If you want the ability to play CDs and your unit doesn't have that built in, there are remote mounted CD changers, and if you want the ability to do something else, there are iPod adapters that replace the stock CD changer and have both an iPod connector and a standard 1/8" stereo headphone connector. That right there lets you plug in almost anything and play it through an otherwise stock system.

If all you want is more power to the speakers, I would run the LOC method, if you want to add sub, run a LOC. Switching to an aftermarket head unit is just more complicated and it doesn't look as nice in my opinion. The Metra kit does look better than most. If you are still set un switching to an aftermarket head unit, you will need to plan on running a new power and accessory line up under the dash and running all new wires to the speakers or running a separate amp in the location of the stock RCU and hooking that up to the stock speaker wires, cause thats where they are.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The dash kit with the digital climate controls will not work in your car if you currently have the 3-knob system. You need to swap out the HVAC system behind the dash if you want the digital climate control.

And the Mach "amp" is not a stand-alone amp and can't just be replaced with any amp without also getting a head unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@qwertz9586 The car comes from the factory with the Digital HVAC. Mach setup and a 6 disk changer.

Thanks for all the input. I'm just going to do a LOC with subs. I might replace the factory speakers though.

ahh in the trunk, most of the cars I had with a system specific amp it was under the front seats or under the back bench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts