Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have an 03 taurus se and i was wondering what yr mach 1 chin spoiler i should get. like 94-98 or 99-04.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was considering getting one for my bull, and don't let me dissuade you, but your Taurus achieves a decent fuel economy based on a few factors. One of which is aerodynamics. You have a .3 drag co-efficient on a stock Taurus. this includes gens 3 and 4. (not sure about any other generations) This is extremely efficient, your average Jet Fighter gets roughly a .35-.37. Granted they need wings to lift them, but even modern day hybrids like the Hyundai Sonata hybrid have a .25 drag coefficient. If you start adding spoilers, and I assume chin spoilers would be even worse, you can kiss that buh-bye. I know they look nice, but even if they only give me a 1% decrease in my mpgs, that will be a constant drain on something that is purely cosmetic. If you are worried about your tires griping the road you'd be better off going with a wider tire since the taurus is pretty heavy anyways and really shouldn't need whatever downforce a chin spoiler would provide. Again, feel free but this is just my .02

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
Yeah, it's about as necessary as the spoiler on my car. Seeing as it's front wheel drive...the spoiler is purely aesthetic. :D But I don't think the spoiler kills fuel economy.

Even six years after its discontinuation, the fourth-gen Taurus is still one of the most aerodynamic cars on the road.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm goin just for looks on this car since theres not much you can do performance wise. usually I go with ALL performance and very little cosmetics wise. i'm used to a 4.6L V8 not a 3.0L V6

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hear you, if i could have afforded fuel for it (and the car itself), I probably would have gone with an 04 Mercury Marauder. Or a mustang, but everyone who I've met who owns a mustang is a bro, like flat billed hat white highschool kid bro.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah, it's about as necessary as the spoiler on my car. Seeing as it's front wheel drive...the spoiler is purely aesthetic. :D But I don't think the spoiler kills fuel economy.

Even six years after its discontinuation, the fourth-gen Taurus is still one of the most aerodynamic cars on the road.
It won't kill it, but it is essentially extra drag.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my dad owns an 04 40th anniversary GT and my bro owns a 94 30th anniversary GT. my dad has the 4.6 and my bro the 5.0 which they're both really nice. this is a different direction for me with a 4 door car and being a new Taurus owner. so I have no idea of what can possibly be done to the car. do you think a rear spoiler would cancel out the effects of the chin spoiler?

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
I hear you, if i could have afforded fuel for it (and the car itself), I probably would have gone with an 04 Mercury Marauder. Or a mustang, but everyone who I've met who owns a mustang is a bro, like flat billed hat white highschool kid bro.
LOVE the Marauders! Cant find them up here!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
217 Posts
my dad owns an 04 40th anniversary GT and my bro owns a 94 30th anniversary GT. my dad has the 4.6 and my bro the 5.0 which they're both really nice. this is a different direction for me with a 4 door car and being a new Taurus owner. so I have no idea of what can possibly be done to the car. do you think a rear spoiler would cancel out the effects of the chin spoiler?
eh that would increase overall drag no matter what, keep in mind I'm talking nominal differences here, but you may or may not notice a difference with the mpgs, more than likely you won't. Also, before you go on saying that there are no preformance mods for your bull take a look at this...... provided you have a vulcan and not the duratec. But the duratecs a race car already so HA

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well if I might not notice a difference in MPG then i'ma do it but I think either way I was still gunna do it. I wanna have a different kinda bull than all the other hundreds of them here in Jacksonville. but the question remains what yr mach 1 chin spoiler shall I get?

·
Registered
997 Posts
A friend of mine has a Maurader. Used to own a SHO too.

So which did you decide to do? I've only heard people who used the Mach one chin, picking the MUSTANG EDGE yr, the true ones.

He later painted his to match, and it looked good!

I think I may try to do the earlier ovally stangs though, see if there's a difference between the 2.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,234 Posts
A friend of mine has a Maurader. Used to own a SHO too.

So which did you decide to do? I've only heard people who used the Mach one chin, picking the MUSTANG EDGE yr, the true ones.

He later painted his to match, and it looked good!

I think I may try to do the earlier ovally stangs though, see if there's a difference between the 2.
That's a Sable with a SHO front clip. (SableSal?)

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
That is awesome.

I was considering getting one for my bull, and don't let me dissuade you, but your Taurus achieves a decent fuel economy based on a few factors. One of which is aerodynamics. You have a .3 drag co-efficient on a stock Taurus. this includes gens 3 and 4. (not sure about any other generations) This is extremely efficient, your average Jet Fighter gets roughly a .35-.37. Granted they need wings to lift them, but even modern day hybrids like the Hyundai Sonata hybrid have a .25 drag coefficient. If you start adding spoilers, and I assume chin spoilers would be even worse, you can kiss that buh-bye. I know they look nice, but even if they only give me a 1% decrease in my mpgs, that will be a constant drain on something that is purely cosmetic. If you are worried about your tires griping the road you'd be better off going with a wider tire since the taurus is pretty heavy anyways and really shouldn't need whatever downforce a chin spoiler would provide. Again, feel free but this is just my .02
Theoretically, it would lower drag a little bit. The more air you can keep from going under the car, the better (unless you're going to do a full belly-pan to smooth out the underside).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I was thinkin bout keepin it black to go with the tint since my car and tcca stickers match why not tint and chin spoiler match a bit. don't wanna go to much on the matchin everything with my car color.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts