Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Macco

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  spridget 
#1 ·
im looking to paint my baby from that ugly faded maroon to gloss black. i was thinking about earl schieb or macco. i know scheib paint jobs are good. but what about maaco. are they any good. do the paint jobs last long?

#2 ·
Depends on the kind of paint that you get. But from what I hear Maaco's prep work sucks regardless.

You get what you pay for.

#3 ·
DO NOT GET MAACO!!!

they use SHERWIN WILLIAMS AUTO PAINT!?!?!?!?

their prep work sucks, they don't take the tipe to tape things off right, over spray everywhere....

My buddy worked there so this information is true.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Lucky@Feb 7 2004, 04:50 PM
ok thx alot guys, im definetly going to earl schieb
I am 43 years old and I have seen paint jobs from both places for years.

If you intend to keep the car DO NOT TAKE IT TO EITHER ONE OF THESE PLACES.

I guarantee you will not be happy with the quality from either place.

We had a company vehicle painted at Scheib's a few years ago and they painted over dirt, overspray on the tires everything. Save your money and get a quality job as you will be PO'd about what was done to your car

#6 ·
I'm going to recommend against this. If you were painting the same color, that'd probably be okay, but covering the maroon with black is a bad idea - Especially at Earl Scheib or Maaco. To do what you want to do correctly, it's many thousands of dollars.

You have a 2000, right? You're also going to kill any potential resale you might have.

You should try & learn to love the maroon.

#7 ·
i have a 96 GL. the paint is all faded. the old lady that owned it before me must have left it under a tree or she was in the movie 'Birds'. Should i just take it to the dealership?

#8 ·
Dealers usually subcontract that stuff out and take a cut of the total bill. What you want to do is possible, but it is not cheap.

I would talk to several body shops. You really do get what you pay for. Is it worht it on this vehicle? Seems like it might cost you more than the car is worth. Get some estimates & see how much it might cost.

#9 ·
well now that i think about it i either want it black or white. and i just dropped 4 grand to buy it. and it only has 25000 miles on it all OE. so its worth it. i mean there is faded paint and really bad parts that look like someone used a scotchrite pad on it. what about service king? have any of you gone there?

#10 ·
I'm going against the grain because I had my '91 done at MAACO. True, the prep work wasn't that great, and they weren't super-careful, but come on - $700 out the door with a great looking car and a paint job that lasted nearly 3 years before the rust set in, and still looks great except for rock chips etc., vs. $3,000 bare minimum from an actual auto body shop.

Now remember, my car also had over 150k miles on it when I had it redone. I wouldn't let MAACO touch my SHO
And in either case, YES you do get what you pay for.

#11 ·
My friend has a used el camino and the previous owner took it to Maaco just before he sold it. Now it looks like the friggin car has a bad sun burn. There's paint peeling EVERYWHERE. And there's plenty of over spray, too.

I guess it would be okay to take it to Maaco it you did your own prep work and brought it back every other year. But if you don't feel like investing that much time or money, either get used to maroon or shell out some big bucks.

#12 ·
maybe i should just have one of my friends key my car and get insurance to pay for it. lol but then id be serving 5 for fraud

#13 ·
I would take the car to a professional detailer and ask his opinion of what he can do. I have seen these guys do some amazing stuff to paint that looked terrible.

I have never done any work on clear coat paint jobs but have worked on some very bad oxidation with rubbing compound and elbow grease that changed the look a 100%

Contact a few and see what they say.

#16 ·
Maaco and Earl Sheib will give you the same crappy paint job. Find a local place that has a good reputation. You do get what you pay for with auto/body places. I've painted a few cars myself. The older paints aren't that hard to use, but the new paints are extremely toxic. Have it done professionally. Expect to spend at least $1000 for a decent job, especially if you expext good prep work, several coats of color, and a clear coat to protect the color. That's the only way to do it right.

I was thinking about painting my hotrod as I build it. I have all the equipment and the experience, but I have decided to have it done by someone else. The new paints are just too toxic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.