Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
What do you want it to help?
As far as I know it thickens the oil, thus reducing wear and slows down oil consumption. If you are trying to improve gas milage I don't think it will help, but I could be wrong. Lucas has been around for many years so it does what it is supposed to as I have never heard anything bad happening with it. I would trust it way before I trusted slick 50, prolong, duralube, etc. Then again you could always go full synthetic and not have to worry about needing Lucas.

·
Registered
341 Posts
the lucas is good for protecting your engine and slowing leaks. it does thicken oil. i've heard nothing but good about it.

some people here say it does nothing for the engine just masks the problem. i think its a matter of opinion. my advice, though, is don't overdo it. too much of that stuff can be bad for your engine.

if i had to buy oil treatment...i'd buy lucas. if your car has high miles...a full synthetic oil really won't make that much of a difference. some high mileage oil would probably be better than full synthetic.

of course, brand is also a matter of opinion. if it were me, i'd use castrol gtx high mileage.

either way...if ya gotta do it, use lucas.. you could do a lot worse.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
First, all the oil brands out there already contain additives blended into them. Second, thicker oil does not necessarily mean better protection, and in fact, can cause more wear for your engine than when using the recommended 5W-30 (or 5W-20 for the Gen IVs). Thicker oil does not circulate as quickly at startup, especially when it's cold out. Although using thicker oils (10W-XX, 20W-XX, whatever), especially in colder weather, was normal for engines from a decade ago and before, today's engines have tighter tolerances which thicker oil will not flow through as well. Most engines today are factory filled with 5W-20 or 5W-30 for these reasons.

And if you really wanted "thicker" oil (for whatever reason), why not just use a heavier weight oil in the first place?

Using any name-brand conventional oil will provide good protection and you'll find many here who've gone 150k plus on their engines, just by following regular maintenance without any (engine) problem using the weight of oil recommended by Ford. Using any name-brand synthetic will provide outstanding protection. There really isn't any need to use any additional oil additives.

There's my $0.02...

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
They say the synthetic diesel oils are the best at maintaining their weight and additives. Usually more expensive too. Mobil Delvac synthetic and Amsoil S3000 oil are two of them. For high mileage oil burning cars Castrol GTX Hi-Mileage oil works, at least for valve guide/seal problems.

The only additive I would be adding to oil is a cleaner. And them it would be Auto-RX. If your car needs an oil additive then you need to either change oils or fix what is wrong. IMHO

G

·
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Aug 15 2004, 10:06 PM
If your car needs an oil additive then you need to either change oils or fix what is wrong. IMHO
Damn, I wish I could yell that at the people that come to my shop asking for oil additives for leaking HEADS and other gaskets...lol

Sal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.