Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm puttin my 22 inch rims back on but heard `about some way of liftin up that strut mount to make sure that the tire does not rub against it. I know of a guy that has 24 inch rims on his car and I heard he used custom struts to make the ride is factory like even with bigger rims.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The Taurus tire diameter is 26.2" OEM. With 22" rims you would have 2" of rubber under the rim. I can't find any tire listed to be close to OEM diameter.

To maintain OEM diameter I would suggest going with 20". 225-30-20 would fit and not have to resort to body mods and jacking the car up. Also when you pick out the rims you will need around a +48mm offset.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I'm puttin my 22 inch rims back on but heard `about some way of liftin up that strut mount to make sure that the tire does not rub against it. I know of a guy that has 24 inch rims on his car and I heard he used custom struts to make the ride is factory like even with bigger rims.

Slide the strut up in the knuckle. You might want to replace the rear springs as they tend to sag.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
when i have my 20's on, i use 2 rubber 2'' spacers in the front (in between 1 coil 2 on each side)

and i use 4 of them on each side in the back, (2 inbeteen 2 different coils) now you might flame me, saying that its extreme and i have no spring range but believe me it works great!

on stock 16's having 3 people in the back was murder....rubbing all the time.

my 20's are wider and taller and with 2 pairs of rear spacers on each side it bumps the ride high about 3" and doesnt knock or ride poorly at all, and car have 3 adults in the back seat.

and my car looks raised but definetly not donked. this is probably the maximum clearance you could get with stock springs/struts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when i have my 20's on, i use 2 rubber 2'' spacers in the front (in between 1 coil 2 on each side)

and i use 4 of them on each side in the back, (2 inbeteen 2 different coils) now you might flame me, saying that its extreme and i have no spring range but believe me it works great!

on stock 16's having 3 people in the back was murder....rubbing all the time.

my 20's are wider and taller and with 2 pairs of rear spacers on each side it bumps the ride high about 3" and doesnt knock or ride poorly at all, and car have 3 adults in the back seat.

and my car looks raised but definetly not donked.

--- Yea that's wut I have now using the metal coils, I have it raised but it doesn't ride hard or rub on the body of the car. My main concern was the tire rubbin on the lower spring mount & I wuz wondering how to raise the entire mount

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Is there any info on how that is done, i believe that's what I heard someone has done. I'm not sure if a auto shop would do that `or not
I doubt a shop would do it out of safety concerns. It is exactly as it sounds. Remove the knuckle pinch bolt, push up the strut and re-install the pinch bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts