Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 finaly burst. I knew it would go sometime. It was flakey rusted last I noticed it. I must have had a premonition, because a couple of days ago it poped in my mind that one day it would come. That day was yesterday when the low coolant bell went off, and the dash light for low coolant lit up. I had a look, and it was spitting out the top of the hose, but I made it home fine.

I had no idea the part would be so costly. I didn't wanna' spend that kind of money for a radiator hose, or wait for a special order part. PLus, I don't have a garage to leave the car in, or other transportation to use while I go back a forth to the hardware store as I try to fab up a custom piece. So I went with the Prestone Flex Hose 1222. Actually it's a Gates piece, but the dimensions are the same at 1.5" ID, and 22" long.

I had the biggest problem with the stupid factory spring hose clamps. I didn't have channel locks, so I was using vise grips. Be carefull because those spring clamps might fly off your pliers with a forcefull ping! Maybe get a regular set of worm clamps when assembling.

Here's what I had to do to get the new hose on:

Remove the bottom panel that attaches to the front bumper cover, and drain what coolant you have left. It has little bolts that run all the way around the bumper. There's a hidden one at each side closest to the front wheels if the cover doesn't come right off.

The passenger tire and front fender liner come off. Get a serpintine belt tool, and take the belt off to get more working clearance. The bolt head is 15mm.

The pasenger fan comes off with 1 bolt at the top. Also, remove the wire loom clip nearby, it's attatched with a single bolt. Then the fan will come out from the top as the bottom sits on 2 rubber isolaters like a radiator.

Go to work. There's a motor mount on front passenger side attached to the subframe with a lock nut. Remove the nut, and carefully jack the motor up from the oil pan with a peice of wood under it to protect the OP to get a few inches of clearance to snake the hose out. Be carefull not to jack the motor up to far, or you'll start breaking things. You'll see the driverside of the motor begin to bind in the engine compartment.

You'll need to secure the new hose against the motor mount to clear the serpintine belt. I unsheathed a piece of romex wire and twisted the 3 wires individually with my visegrips untill the slack was taken up. Maybe wrap that part of the hose with a rag or something to prevent chaffing.

Thanks to everyone. I hope I didn't forget anything. I saved a lot of time, and cash with the info I got on this site. This easily could have been a weekend project if I went into it blind. But it only took me a couple hours, and about $40 bux with the hose, and a jug of coolant. My motor took the whole 2 gallons of 50/50.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is starting to rot and I want to replace it. Where did you get this hose? I've looked up the part number online but the hose I found wasn't 22 inches like you described.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lower radiator hose

you can buy the stock part hose at NAPA its pricey 158 buck in utah, and a son of a bitch to install. I got mine yesterday, I spent way to long installing it by my self

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
There is a guy on EBay who is selling the hose for $99, just bought mine a month ago and installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts