Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to replace my rear springs on my Gen 3 wagon and was attempting to drop the rear control arm from the inside.

The nut came off fine but the bolt is apparently rusted to the steel bushing it passes through.

As I started to hit it with a small sledge hammer the rubber started to deform. There did not appear to be an movement between the bolt and the steel bushing. I did not want to break or bend anything that is hard or expensive to replace so I aborted the mission.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what that bushing assembly is like? Can I buy a new one by itself or is it part of the lower control arm? I am not going to replace the control arm. No way. The car is pretty rusty under there and I don't want to remove too much or I am asking for trouble.

The replacement spring is a Moog which is a little bit bigger in diameter than the OEM.

This makes it impossible to fanagle it in with out dropping the arm or disconnecting the ball joints.

If I can sawsall off the inner bolt some how and replace the bushing and bolt that may be reasonable. I don't know if that part is available and what it may be called.
Any insight appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK......not too many wagon owners out there who have done rear springs..... I assume.

I found out I can't replace the bushing alone. It is part of the lower control arm which appears to be dealer only.

My next strategy is to remove the tension strut. I looked into a few sources on line but so far can't find replacement bushing for this part either. I fully expect to have to apply some heat to it and the bushing may melt some. Besides they are old and I might as well replace them if possible.

So....... does anyone know if the rear bushing are available somewhere. (like a Moog problem solver) Otherwise i will have to replace the entire assy at the dealer price. painful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts